Rear wheel speed sensor. Going insane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram1500rust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2009 RAM 1500, 5.7

So the rear left wheel speed sensor is not working. ABS module just tells my scan tool that "Rear Left Wheel Sensor Circuit". C1020 is the code.

1. Replaced sensor, nothing
2. Inspected wires, nothing
3. Did a short test, they aren't shorting.
4. Put a large M ohm resistor across in the plug and tested to see if the connector is dirty/oxidized/rusted. Nothing.
5. Inspected ABS module at the front, there was oxidization on the connector but cleaned it and even did a continuity test on both wires all the way to the back.
6. Took apart the ABS module and directly soldered 2 wires coming out and soldered them directly into the harness bypassing the oxidized connector.
7. Did another continuity test directly from the ABS module pins to the rear sensor, seems fine.
8. Swapped rear sensor with the right side, right side still works but left side still doesn't work.

I have no clue what to do anymore I've run out of ideas. I've reset the ABS module like 50 times. Is the module simply toast? It looked pristine inside, not sure where it could be failing.

Is there too much resistance in the wires from some corrosion somewhere?

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
From the pins at the chassis harness from the rear speed sensor (L&R) spin the wheels and see if you get a matching signal on the meter. If you're getting the same signal from both sensors upto the ABS module then I'd say it's a faulty module.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
In addition to what 18Crew said, did you use a MOPAR speed sensor or one from NAPA. If not OEM that could easily be the issue.

OP
OP
R

ram1500rust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Figured it out! Finally!! So I got my truck used and it was clearly worked on by some idiot. Somewhere, no clue where, in the harness, the wires for the sensor are swapped around it seems. I rotated the sensor out of it's connector and hooked it up reverse and it worked! My god.