recommendation on a puller tool specification size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeJP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Hello -

I have a 2013 2500 and I need a recommendation on a puller tool specification size/capacity to remove a wheel hub assembly. I've never bought one before, and I cannot take the wheel off to measure the diameter at this time. I would like to have the tool in my garage before I begin disassembly. I see Grainger has different sizes for Jaw Reach, Jaw Spread, and Capacity in Tons.

I understand my inquiry may not be answerable, but I request a recommendation for what specs puller I should get. Or maybe I should buy more than one size to be safe/have extra "just in case".

Thanks folks.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
I Never used a puller for that. 1A auto has a nice basic video on how to do it. Most everyone I worked with did it the same way as shown -up to where he actually removed the bearing. On the video (he did not) but the time to spray on your PB Blaster to where the hub goes into the knuckle is as soon as the rotor is removed. - rotor side of course. 1) Some people got bolts (CAME WITH The BEARING, Or they had KEEP SOME OLD ONES, or BOUGHT NEW ONES). they would leave the tie rod in, used the old bolts - put two of them in (lower two positions of course) just a few turns, start the engine and use the power steering as a press the assembly out -as they turned the wheel the bolts would hit the knuckle. ( I did not like that way) 2) Others put two of the bolts in And used the air chisel as shown in the video - most tech's keep a lot of old Stuff in their "junk drawer" for these reasons. 3) my way was to remove the bolts take my air chisel with a pointed style crnter punch, put some dimples in the flange close to the backing plate and get the bearing to rotate in the hole of the knuckle. Remember you do not care about the bearing if you are replacing it. Air chisels use a surprising amount (volumn) of air. So to do any of these ways will require a good air compressor. But money spent on that is much better (my opinion) spent that a puller you will not use that often.
4) a lot of part stores rent tools!!! NAPA does/did at no charge. Deposit upon pick up monies returned if you did not destroy the tool.

OP
OP
MikeJP

MikeJP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Hello and thank you. Yes I understand the air tools is another method, among others. I'd like a recommendation on the pullers so I can have these tools on stand-by if my others methods don't work.