Remote Start Addition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smccloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm posting this for my dad sinc I'm the one with AlfaOBD (bought it for my wife's 2016 Journey). He has a 2017 1500 SXT without remote start. Does he need to add anything other than the proper hood latch and get remote start keys then have me program said keys and program the PCM/BCM for remote start?

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm posting this for my dad sinc I'm the one with AlfaOBD (bought it for my wife's 2016 Journey). He has a 2017 1500 SXT without remote start. Does he need to add anything other than the proper hood latch and get remote start keys then have me program said keys and program the PCM/BCM for remote start?
He may need some wiring. Here’s a video that talks about it.

OP
OP
S

smccloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If he needs wiring, what are the Chrysler parts numbers he may need. He can get them through work (if the depots are caught up) as he works for a GM/Ford/Chrysler/Toyota reseller.

OP
OP
S

smccloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My dad has access to all the factory parts through where he works, just needs to know what to get. I believe he has already determined the correct hood latch. He just wants to make sure he has everything else he needs (we live in Minnesota and he really misses the remote start on his old Silverado that he sold to me).

TwitchCaptain

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To enable remote start my 2021 1500 Classic SLT I had to add the hood latch (wiring was present) and a key fob insert. The key fob already had the button, and just needed this insert: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HKXBVH7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Once I had both of those, I enabled remote start with AlfaOBD and it worked.

If you need the wiring I think @DoughRat19 may have a kit for it, or I'm sure he'd know what to get if he doesn't have it. EDIT: To be clear: This is not an OEM part your dad will be able to order from Dodge. Watch DoughRat19's videos (linked above), figure out which wiring is needed, and then let him know. I was lucky and needed no wiring.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

smccloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To enable remote start my 2021 1500 Classic SLT I had to add the hood latch (wiring was present) and a key fob insert. The key fob already had the button, and just needed this insert: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HKXBVH7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Once I had both of those, I enabled remote start with AlfaOBD and it worked.

If you need the wiring I think @DoughRat19 may have a kit for it, or I'm sure he'd know what to get if he doesn't have it. EDIT: To be clear: This is not an OEM part your dad will be able to order from Dodge. Watch DoughRat19's videos (linked above), figure out which wiring is needed, and then let him know. I was lucky and needed no wiring.
He has all the wiring and just checked his remote. Just needs those buttons and the latch. Then time for me to figure out AlfaOBD to enable it.

robinsontech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Classic 2WD
Engine
hemi 5.7
I am so lost on the Remote start. When I bought my 2020 Ram 1500 Classic SLT, the dealership said the Remote start wasn't available with the Key but only Uconnect. I have the Hood Latch wiring because I can remote start only via Ram App. Is their a sensor that is needed to remote start with the Key? I do not have the Remote start button. Or do I just need to purchase a new key and program it with Alfa?