Remote Start Disabled

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tgrfn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
2017 Ram Sport 1500 5.7L. Tried to start truck with remote. Clicked the start button twice. Lights flashed twice. Truck did not start. Usually it does start. The message on the Instrument Panel "Remote Start Disabled. Start Engine To Enable". This has happened several times. Always after truck has been parked for ten hours or more. What causes this? Can it be prevented?

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you tried a different fob?....maybe the fob batteries are low

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Also check your battery connections. My negative cable was loose and it took me months to realize it was causing this.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If the hood is even remotely open ( not completely locked ), it will do that. Also if a door is ajar, and/or if the fuel is below 10% ( gas light on, and estimated range is showing " low " ). All of these will cause it to fail.

OP
OP
Tgrfn

Tgrfn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Have you tried a different fob?....maybe the fob batteries are low
I have not tried a different FOB. When I get in the truck the message is "Remote Start Disabled. Start Engine to Enable". After I use the "key" to start the engine remote start will work for a while.

OP
OP
Tgrfn

Tgrfn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Also check your battery connections. My negative cable was loose and it took me months to realize it was causing this.
Battery connections are tight. The message says it is disabled. Start engine to enable. After I start the engine the remote works for a while.

MuddyJeep810

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This **** happens probably 10% of the times I remote start my truck, which is daily. None of the conditions are met that would trigger the disable, but it still disables. Also, I cannot remote start my truck once my range is less than 70 miles. I really hate this "feature". Is there a way to disable it with a programmer?

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
This **** happens probably 10% of the times I remote start my truck, which is daily. None of the conditions are met that would trigger the disable, but it still disables. Also, I cannot remote start my truck once my range is less than 70 miles. I really hate this "feature". Is there a way to disable it with a programmer?

I don't know about a programmer but I can tell you with
absolute certainty you can resolve the issue at a gas station.

I never let any of my vehicles get below 1/2 tank.
But that's just me.

EDIT: After the experience of having remote start fail 100% of the time, but all other functions working OK I finally bought new remotes and had them programmed.
Remote start is back to working 100%.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Next time it fails measure the battery voltage. Anything below 12.3 to 12.4 volts, remote start won't work.

Last edited: