Remote Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone know how many times I can remote start my 2017 RAM 1500 before actually starting it with the key? My truck is going to be parked at the airport for 3 days in -10 to -30 degree weather and would love to start it a few times while I'm out of town.

I would just give it a try but I really want to make sure it still starts from the plane when I land to get it warmed up before I need to leave.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
3 I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lconnally

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just my opinion, but I would start it twice right before you are getting to it at the most, don’t remote start it at all on the other days you are away.

A super cold engine, idling doesn’t make much heat, but does make enough to cause condensation. Doing that several times, allowing it to cool down completely in between is not good for the engine.

Start it 20 minutes before getting to truck, it will timeout so you will need to restart it again, and then drive it long enough to get it up to operating temps before shutting it down.

That is just what I would do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HDHNTER

US AIR FORCE VETERAN OEF - OIF
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
2 remote starts, 15 minutes of run time each before the fob is needed to manually start the truck.

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
A little late to the party, but I'll go to the other issue brought up here. You don't need to remote start it for any reason. These trucks are just fine starting at those temps. I start mine all the time in -30 temps in northern Minnesota. It might whine for a few seconds but so would I! If you are worried about the battery replace it. Cold cranking even a good battery at those temps without actually revving the engine will not give the alternator a chance to properly recharge the battery. You'll actually kill it faster. Idling a truck for more than a few minutes is a waste of gas and is only for comfort. The transmission, the shocks, and most other things will not warm up until the vehicle starts to move.

Most experts say that even at the coldest temps, modern vehicles only need a 30 seconds to a minute before driving. That said, don't drive like Kyle Busch with two laps to go. Drive like a 90 year old man for the first minute or so and then drive like normal. The main thing is not to accelerate hard or drive fast in the first few minutes of driving.