Remote start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mperry58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This may not be the correct forum but my remote start has stopped working. I have a 2012 ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi. I changed the battery on the remote and that didn’t help. Anyone have any ideas they can point me to.
Thanks for the help.

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This may not be the correct forum but my remote start has stopped working. I have a 2012 ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi. I changed the battery on the remote and that didn’t help. Anyone have any ideas they can point me to.
Thanks for the help.

A check-engine light (with one or more stored trouble codes) will prevent the remote start operation.

A defective hood latch (showing the hood open when it is not) will also prevent the remote start operation.

Have you tried remote start using both fobs?

OP
OP
M

Mperry58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A check-engine light (with one or more stored trouble codes) will prevent the remote start operation.

A defective hood latch (showing the hood open when it is not) will also prevent the remote start operation.

Have you tried remote start using both fobs?
No I have only tried one so far. Thank you for the information.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Also, in addition to the good info above, if your vehicle battery is below 12.3 volts remote start won't work. Are you getting any horn beeps when you try to start it remote. The pattern of those beeps helps tell you what the issue is. Your owners manual has the specific info for your year, I don't know what they are for a 2012.

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also, in addition to the good info above, if your vehicle battery is below 12.3 volts remote start won't work. Are you getting any horn beeps when you try to start it remote. The pattern of those beeps helps tell you what the issue is. Your owners manual has the specific info for your year, I don't know what they are for a 2012.
Dean2
Didnt know about the horn beep thing
Thanks for the lesson

OP
OP
M

Mperry58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m not getting the 2 horn beeps. Everything else on the remote works. Someone above reminded me to check the other key fob. It works. I assume it would be something wrong with the fob?

OP
OP
M

Mperry58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think I found the problem. I took the fob apart and the contact pads, not sure if correct terminology, were pretty dirty. Carefully wiped those off and it now works. Thanks for all the help.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
The fact you were not getting even a single beep or light flash tells you the FOB isn't actually sending so glad the contact clean worked. .

OP
OP
M

Mperry58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for all the help. It stopped working again. Can you buy just the circuit board?