Remove your bed to cab seal asap!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I looked at my truck and see vertical seals as well. They are on the edges of the bed. My 2004 does not have them. I can see to the ground between the cab and bed. But...I have had an intermittent squeak which I thought was coming from the back seat area. Or because I put a camper shell on. Usually when moist outside. Could not find anything even with someone sitting in the back. Did not know about these seals and I'll bet that is my noise. By lube are you thinking a common grease?
Silicone lube or synthetic grease,don't use a normal petroleum based grease

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
Roger that. Petroleum based would likely deteriorate to rubber. I can't hear a howl coming from my older truck at speed but it's a diesel with some semi-aggressive mud/snow/rain tires. And nowhere near the insulation of the new trucks. So it could be there but just drowned out. Lots of wind noise at the doors though.

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
I have been driving Ram trucks for 11 years and I have had zero issues. I don't get excited about stuff like this. I think Ram knows how to build a truck by now. I regret getting rid of every one I have had. I got rid of my 85 Ramcharger because there was a whine in the diff and I have kicked myself ever since.

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I have been driving Ram trucks for 11 years and I have had zero issues. I don't get excited about stuff like this. I think Ram knows how to build a truck by now. I regret getting rid of every one I have had. I got rid of my 85 Ramcharger because there was a whine in the diff and I have kicked myself ever since.
Ive been driving them since 2014 and can't say the same lol. I think all manufactures suck but I still prefer ram over chevy and ford. Ram forgot how to build a engine that doesn't eat lifters, break manifold bolts, hoods that don't bubble from the inside out, rear roof leaks, delaminating radios yadda yadda lol. My dad had a 87 ram with the 3.9L with 5 speed reg cab in a 8ft bed... we ran that thing into the ground but it kept going till he passed and my mom had to get rid of it. It was completely rotted out, manual syncros were shot but it got you from point A to B.

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Took everyone’s responses and formulated a compromise. So here’s what I did… cut the seal so it has about a 1/8-3/16” gap from the bed and doesn’t rub anymore but still covers 90% of the gap. Confirmed no wind noise today while on the highway or city driving.

Let’s not forget that at the ends of each side of bed are like 12” open areas with no seals. Not sure how much a Of a difference the seals actually make. The side vertical seals also don’t contact the cab and have about 1/8-3/16” gap which is what I mimicked.

Attachments

• IMG_1700.jpeg
    IMG_1700.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 31

wenglish14

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks for that, I was looking at mine last fall and had about 3" of dirt, leaves and debris on top of it. Spent nearly 30 minutes trying to get it all cleaned out. I will look into removing it altogether.

Shiva

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for that, I was looking at mine last fall and had about 3" of dirt, leaves and debris on top of it. Spent nearly 30 minutes trying to get it all cleaned out. I will look into removing it altogether.
That is the reason I removed the part on my 18 in 2019. There was a mountain of tree litter down there just rotting away. The 3 pieces on the front of the box are just fairings for aerodynamics and are not supposed to touch the cab.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Took everyone’s responses and formulated a compromise. So here’s what I did… cut the seal so it has about a 1/8-3/16” gap from the bed and doesn’t rub anymore but still covers 90% of the gap. Confirmed no wind noise today while on the highway or city driving.

Let’s not forget that at the ends of each side of bed are like 12” open areas with no seals. Not sure how much a Of a difference the seals actually make. The side vertical seals also don’t contact the cab and have about 1/8-3/16” gap which is what I mimicked.
By design and from the factory the seal IS NOT suppose to contact the rear of the cab. If it does the box is too far forward on the frame. But by trimming the seal to allow a 1/4 inch gap you've accomplished the same thing.

Regards,
Dusty
19 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 1076726 miles.

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
By design and from the factory the seal IS NOT suppose to contact the rear of the cab. If it does the box is too far forward on the frame. But by trimming the seal to allow a 1/4 inch gap you've accomplished the same thing.

Regards,
Dusty
19 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 1076726 miles.
It was the same on my 2018 and 2014. The seal is designed to curl and press against the cab. The cab and bed are not missaligned as the side seals are not touching the cab either and have a similar 3/16” gap or so. This is a common issue with the ram pickups. Most don’t care but it always leads to rot and debri. I have gotten zero noise with the seal cut but also don’t think I got any with no seal. That seal is extra long and curled so it contacts the cab by design.

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
Ive been driving them since 2014 and can't say the same lol. I think all manufactures suck but I still prefer ram over chevy and ford. Ram forgot how to build a engine that doesn't eat lifters, break manifold bolts, hoods that don't bubble from the inside out, rear roof leaks, delaminating radios yadda yadda lol. My dad had a 87 ram with the 3.9L with 5 speed reg cab in a 8ft bed... we ran that thing into the ground but it kept going till he passed and my mom had to get rid of it. It was completely rotted out, manual syncros were shot but it got you from point A to B.
Well, I haven't had any of those issues with mine. Of course I didn't get the wrong engine and radio.