Rusted Exhaust Manifold Shields - Remove?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GreyhoundGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (Big Horn edition)
Hi all. Hoping you can help out. (Not sure if this post should be here or in General Discussion. Mods, if it's in the wrong spot, feel free to move it.)

We've got a 2011 Ram 1500 Big Horn edition (5.7L Hemi) with 201k miles. It's a Wisconsin truck that was gifted to us, so it's got a pretty fair amount of rust on the rocker panels, underneath, etc. My wife noticed a clunking sound and asked me to go under and take a look. She said it seemed focused by the front right wheel.

I got under and found that one of the bolts for the driver's side manifold heat shield has been sheared off. Another (on the same end) isn't holding anything, as the aluminum has corroded away, so the corner is just hanging. The two on the other end of that heat shield are solidly locked/rusted on.

I took a look at the driver's side, and the heat shield is completely rusted off already. It's not being held on, but has dropped down and is staying in place just by being caught in place.

So my question is..... can the heat shields be removed and the truck driven without them? I know that the axle boots are underneath the manifolds, but are they far enough away that they wouldn't be affected by the heat? Is there anything else there I'd have to worry about?

I think trying to mount new heat shields in is going to end up being pretty frustrating due to the level of rust, and I'm just wondering if I can just remove them and go on with life.

Thanks in advance. I appreciate it.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Op

Those bolts being sheared off are a tell tell signs of broken manifold bolts which usually means an exhaust leak. Do you have a tick at start up? If so, you could have found the problem.

As for removing heat shields, you can however rubber parts in and around the area will be exposed to additional heat and well that brings it own set of problems. If your truck is a farm truck and not daily driven, yes you could remove them but if it's a daily, I would recommend a proper repair with exhaust bolt repair and heat shields.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score