reoccurring starting issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigsss1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
My 1997 Dodge ram 1500 sport, 375,000 miles( Mopar crate engine with 95,ooo on her). Every couple months, with no apparent rhyme or reason won't start. strong battery and starter. Mechanic suggested that it was flooded and that after a dozen or so attempts and with the gas pedal to the floor she eventually began to start. They felt it was flooded and holding gas pedal down prevented start up fuel send. They couldn't find anything wrong after engine started due to low memory 2nd Gen computer. That it was like diagnosing an old T.V. set that when it wasn't working you hit the side with your hand and it came back on but it was hard to find what caused the problem. I recently changed the original coil thinking that might have been the cause but then 3 months later it happened again. After 20 some odd attempts to start she finally showed signs of life but then I had to keep my foot on the gas because she wouldn't hold idle. After driving a couple miles she was fine and ever since has been starting and driving great. I can't nail it down but it seems like it happens more when its colder out and wet?? Does anyone have any clue what could be causing this ? It does make sense to me that its something electrical since it's so infrequent. Thanks