Replace rear brake dust shield without removing axle by splitting them, or leave them off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm getting ready to replace the brakes and rotors on my 2011. Unfortunately, the rear brake dust shields are rotted out as typical in the NE. I really don't want to get into opening the differential and pulling the axles just to replace the dust shields, so I'm trying to decide whether to leave them off, or trying to split a set into 2 pieces to put on without removing the axle.

Dorman makes 2 piece split sets just for that reason, but apparently not for the Ram that I can find, only GM. Has anyone here ever done that, or would you just leave them off and not worry about the shields?

I only have 81,000 miles on the Ram and only average around 6000-7000 mile per year and won't be able to replace the truck anytime soon. The only time I really drive on gravel roads is at campgrounds where I'm pulling our trailer slow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517