Replacing reverse light bulb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lezmark7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The reverse lights just dont work well enough for me. Before I went with something a little more complicated I thought I would try a better bulb. I got the light unit out, but the bulbs are not accessible without more disassembly - looks like a sealed unit!? Anyone have advice? Thanks

OP
OP
lezmark7

lezmark7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
the whole light assembly pops out but you cant get to the bulbs, they all seem to be inside, The videos show that it is right there ready to pop out - not on my truck!

OP
OP
lezmark7

lezmark7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
so much for that idea!! I guess Ram wants us to buy a whole unit if a bulb goes outtail light.jpg

Last edited:

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not sure what the issue is, it it is a OEM set up they pop out.

Interesting...I watched the video. The guy replaced the halogen with the LED, and after the LED was installed and he put it in reverse the LED bulbs were pulsing. The halogen didn't do that before he replaced them.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Interesting...I watched the video. The guy replaced the halogen with the LED, and after the LED was installed and he put it in reverse the LED bulbs were pulsing. The halogen didn't do that before he replaced them.
To be honest, I didn't get to the end. Kind of like half the books I start. Now I need to watch it all.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
@tron67j @Tulecreeper that video is on a '19 Classic pick up which is a Gen4 truck.
@lezmark7 if your truck is a '23, unless your over 36K miles the dealership will replace that taillight assembly (it's expensive) under warranty.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks, I admit I searched the truck he had while I was in the bowels of a parking garage with bad service. Thought I hit a 23

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the whole light assembly pops out but you cant get to the bulbs, they all seem to be inside, The videos show that it is right there ready to pop out - not on my truck!
Do you have LED lighting exterior, ie., LED headlights and rear lights? If so, They R sealed units. If U want more light in the rear with LED, U have to add alternate lighting.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That kind of sucks for the 23 models. My 4th gen Sport with the LED taillights was easy to replace the back-up bulb with an LED, which made a world of difference. Maybe a under the tailgate light bar would work good for you, if they fit on the new trucks ? Something like the Putco Blade which has plug & play connections.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
Change the bulbs if ya want, I did, and it made a minor difference. Then I got a led set up from American trucks. Its called: Morimoto (is the brand) Boost Bar License Plate Light. $75. Easy to hook up into the trucks wiring harness right at the back of the truck. Absolutely Fabulous! It just attaches to where your rear plate is mounted. Part number R138702
just an update. Morimoto change the part number to: "LED700". Just got my second one in the mail, will be adding this to the wife's C6 corvette. What is also nice is that you do not even notice that is there, of course till it lights up!

Last edited: