Resonator delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2012Lamarie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi guys. I have a magna flow exhaust and I was wondering what exactly do the resonators do and what happens if I take those off and replace the tips with 5" ones. I heard they reduce drone, but honestly they dont seem to do to much.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Hi guys. I have a magna flow exhaust and I was wondering what exactly do the resonators do and what happens if I take those off and replace the tips with 5" ones. I heard they reduce drone, but honestly they dont seem to do to much.

The resonators get rid of the high frequency sound or rasp without killing power or adding more decibels from the exhaust system

If you add 5" tips it will make the exhaust tone deeper.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you plan on getting long tubes, keep the resonators. Long tube's without resonators sound like cheep glass packs. Wish I would have kept mine on.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
The Borla cat back has resonators......not sure but bet the Corsa cat back does also.
Anyone confirm Corsa cat back has resonators?

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I took mine off last week. Changed the tone some, made my mwa race muffler sound a bit more nasty up high. Didn't have any bad highway drone before still dont.

OP
OP

2012Lamarie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks everyone

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
Or you can use a Helmholtz resonator aka 1/4 wave resonator and tune out certain frequencies aka drone.
It's what I did with my Evo X. I used Decibel X Pro on my phone and recorded the drone sound and got the exact frequency from the app. Then it's a pretty basic math equation to figure out the length of the tube you need. Width should be roughly 1/2 the primary tube give or take.

-RPM that drone occurs at

-Number of cylinders

Y= RPM of your drone (ex- 3400rpm)
X= Frequency of drone (ex- 121.46 Hz)

You will also need to know the speed of sound. It varies with temperature, but is generally accepted to be 343m/s.

f = RPM * pulses/rev * (1/60)

f = Y rev/min * 4 pulses/rev * (1/60)

f = X pulses/second = X Hz

λ = v/f = speed of sound / frequency

λ = (343m/s)/(X Hz)

You want a wave 180° out of phase with your drone frequency so divide the wavelength by 4

If you have basic fabrication skills and equipment you can make one in your driveway (welder and hole saw) or take the measurements into an exhaust shop and have them weld it on for you.

Last edited:

Saskwatch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've recently made the conversion to no resonators and added 5" tips. My system is different than most since I've got LTs with re-used stock cats welded at the collectors followed by 2.5" piping with an X-pipe and 19" Borla Pro XS mufflers. Prior to this I had the stock 2.25" tail section in play with some larger 4" clamp on tips. I finished up the system and fully ran 2.5" all the way back and installed 5" x 18" Pypes tips. The tone has definitley changed. Its deeper all around and sounds better in my opinion. There is absolutely no drone at all and sounds very very smooth. I'd personally say that removing the resonators had next to nothing to do with the increased tone depth and the 5" tips made all the difference. Since I am still running cats my system is very tame im comparison to those that remove cats and/or mufflers as this is what I wanted. I've got a heavily upgraded stereo that I enjoy listening to plus I don't think my kids would enjoy the deafening drones and bangs of a louder system. Just my 2 cents

IMG_4990.jpg

IMG_4992.jpg