Retractable Alum Tonneaus - RetraxPro vs Truck Covers USA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DVC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm trying to decide between these two tonneaus for my 2018 Ram Rebel with Ramboxes, and would appreciate any input from guys who have experience with either/both of these - particularly on trucks with Ramboxes. From what I've gathered so far, they both seem to be great options, each with a few advantages over the other...

RetraxPro MX
  • ~$1750
  • Aluminum slat construction, supports 500#
  • NOT spring loaded; can be locked anywhere along track
  • 2 drainage holes; no drilling required
  • Canister takes up 12"x12" in front of bed
  • Side rail tracks extend only ~1.25" from each side in a Rambox bed
  • No options for accessory mount slots on sides

Truck Covers USA American Roll
  • ~$1650
  • Aluminum slat construction, supports 500#
  • Spring loaded; can be locked at 12" intervals
  • 4 drainage holes; drilling required for rear holes (some trucks only?)
  • Canister takes up 8"x8" in front of bed
  • Side rail tracks extent ~3.5" from each side in a Rambox bed (!!!)
  • Optional Yakima/Thule accessory mount slots on sides

The biggest advantage of the RetraxPro for me at this point is that the tracks only protrude about an inch from the sides of the bed... this is important since with Ramboxes, the bed is already narrow. Other than that, most of the advantages go to TCUSA - although I'm not sure I'd use the Yakima/Thule accessory rails, as I plan to run either a Dethloff or Nuthouse expedition bed rack.

Last edited:

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
I’ve had a ReTrax Power Pro MX for just over 3 years now. I went with the Power Pro version because I wasn’t sure how it was gonna roll while reaching over the Rambox lid. Plus the power version has a light mounted on the canister. The first truck I had it on, MY15, which didn’t have any bed lights. When I traded that on a MY16, I transferred it on to that truck. About a month ago I again transferred it onto my new truck.
I did drill 2 holes though for the drain tubes. There are 2 plastic plugs in the front wall of the bed. Drilled an appropriate size hole on each side and slid the drain tubes through. I guess you could just let them drain into the bed, but this way there is no water entering the bed.
Power top is really not necessary. And I guess eventually the motor will fail. So far so good. Only really complaint is the range of the remote is not very far. Until I figured that out, I was embarrassed a couple of times showing how “cool” my ReTrax cover was!
Another thing, you must have the standard bed rails that come with the Rambox. If your truck came with the factory folding cover, those bed rails Will Not work.
With the track mounted, you’ll end up with 45 1/2” of width.
So if you have a 4’by4’by4’ box, you not be able to slide it onto the truck.
All in all, I really like the product. Very secure too. Only place I get any water is back around the tailgate area. Not really anything to do with the ReTrax design. I guess I could play around with foam pads, but it’s not that big of a deal to me.

OP
OP
DVC

DVC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like it's been pretty good for you... thanks for the feedback!

I have the standard rails that came with the Rambox... the silver ones with two moveable tie down posts. So as I understand it, I'll need to remove them, and mount the tonneau tracks to those holes, right?
And the width between the tracks is 45.5"? I guess that confirms what Retrax told me, that they only stick out 1.25" from each side... the thing that bugs me most about the TCUSA is that their rails stick out 3.5".

By the way, are you still able to use your Ram removable bed partition (the one that came with the Ramboxes) without too much trouble? I guess you can't just drop it in from above with the tracks sticking out even 1.25 inches, so are you stuck with sliding it in bellow the tracks from the tailgate opening? Or are you able to fit it through from above by angling it a bit, and then lock it in place once it's positioned? (My guess is that this definitely wouldn't be possible with the TCUSA, as it's tracks stick out almost three times as much... )

Thanks again for the feedback!

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Go with Retrax. I have the Retrax PRO MX! If you have instagram I have a few photos posted. Contact Mourie from forum sponsor tonneaufactoryoutlet.com. He got me a good deal, free shipping and even expedited it when Hurricane Irma was bearing down on FL and I had to get out of town. Cheaper than the price you have listed.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Sounds like it's been pretty good for you... thanks for the feedback!

I have the standard rails that came with the Rambox... the silver ones with two moveable tie down posts. So as I understand it, I'll need to remove them, and mount the tonneau tracks to those holes, right?
And the width between the tracks is 45.5"? I guess that confirms what Retrax told me, that they only stick out 1.25" from each side... the thing that bugs me most about the TCUSA is that their rails stick out 3.5".

By the way, are you still able to use your Ram removable bed partition (the one that came with the Ramboxes) without too much trouble? I guess you can't just drop it in from above with the tracks sticking out even 1.25 inches, so are you stuck with sliding it in bellow the tracks from the tailgate opening? Or are you able to fit it through from above by angling it a bit, and then lock it in place once it's positioned? (My guess is that this definitely wouldn't be possible with the TCUSA, as it's tracks stick out almost three times as much... )

Thanks again for the feedback!
DVC, the rails remain in place. ReTrax has predrilled aluminum blocks that will slide onto the bed rails. Little hard to explain, but it’s really pretty easy. Slide 3 onto each side and space them out per the instructions.
Bed divider is not an issue at all, move it anywhere, anytime.

OP
OP
DVC

DVC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
DVC, the rails remain in place. ReTrax has predrilled aluminum blocks that will slide onto the bed rails. Little hard to explain, but it’s really pretty easy. Slide 3 onto each side and space them out per the instructions.
Bed divider is not an issue at all, move it anywhere, anytime.
Ok, so the RetraxPro tonneau retains, and attaches to, the Rambox system's silver rails with the moveable tie-down fasteners? That makes it even better... I'm pretty sure the TCUSA system requires those to be removed.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
0A58D9AF-FED0-457B-B906-7D5E77EBC765.jpeg 21B86A99-1A5C-4B10-B687-58EB69923F8C.jpeg FA8EDA41-AE2E-4C50-8879-90B15A1C1A26.jpeg
Ok, so the RetraxPro tonneau retains, and attaches to, the Rambox system's silver rails with the moveable tie-down fasteners? That makes it even better... I'm pretty sure the TCUSA system requires those to be removed.
These pics are from 3 years ago when I installed it on MY15 Sport 1500

Reactions: DVC

nick84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry for the necro post.....just wondered if there was an update on this from OP? I'm looking at the retrax for my '14 with Ramboxes and I was wondering if it worked out for you? Thanks.

Sinistre1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it helps I have thee Pace Edwards electric bed locker... damn near identical in design and use. Absolutely love mine and can confirm all that has been said before. '16 w/ Ram boxes. Mine doesn't have a light, or at least if there is one it isn't in the same spot. Never really paid attention. Same fit and finish and they really, really, really look factory. Most people don't even notice mine until I have reason to use it. Very strong. I could likely walk on it with no ill effect.. but I don't care to test it. I have had in excess of 200lbs on it, so I can vouch for that. And very secure! No razor knife robbery here.