Rhythmic squeak/chirp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lholt2002

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good morning everyone,
I have owned my 2016 Ram 1500 Hemi for about a year now and for the last few months I've been chasing a noise I cannot figure out for the life of me. It's not constant, it seems to appear at lower speeds and seems to come and go, but its more like a rhythmic squeak/chirp that increases with how fast the vehicle is moving, which leads me to believe it is something rotating. So far I have replaced: Front wheel bearings/hub assemblies, U joints, rotors, and brake pads all around. The first U joint replacement was done incorrectly by a shop which led to me slinging the driveshaft through the floor of the truck and grenading the transfer case. Regardless, it is now 100% fixed and factory again and I figured surely I would never hear the noise again until about a day after I got it back. I am ABSOLUTELY at wits end trying to fix this, so any insight into what could possibly be causing this and how I can go about fixing it would be hugely appreciated. Thanks for any help!

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Pull your fan belt off and start the engine, if it’s a tensioner or pulley , or maybe alternator this will eliminate that . If no change keep searching.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How about CV's? Or front driveshaft? What have you looked at, at the rear end? What kind of wheels does your truck have? Steel, or aluminum?

OP
OP
L

lholt2002

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How about CV's? Or front driveshaft? What have you looked at, at the rear end? What kind of wheels does your truck have? Steel, or aluminum?
The truck has aftermarket fuel 18x10's on 35 inch mud tires. I can't see where the CV axles are flinging grease and the boots and axles generally seem to be in good condition, but that's based purely on my visual inspection, I am not a mechanic. The front driveshaft was out of the truck when the transfer case was replaced but the U joint is, according to dodge, "not serviceable" and cannot be replaced without replacing the whole front driveshaft. The front shaft U joint does have a grease fitting on it that I want to try and grease and see if it makes a difference. I've also been told theres a joint on the front driveshaft covered by a boot that needs grease as well.

OP
OP
L

lholt2002

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pull your fan belt off and start the engine, if it’s a tensioner or pulley , or maybe alternator this will eliminate that . If no change keep searching.
I'm almost positive the noise is not engine-related. I can't hear it when the vehicle is idling, only when I am passing a wall or another vehicle with the windows down going under 30mph

OP
OP
L

lholt2002

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update: was also just informed by another member here that a buildup of dust/grime/etc. in the E-brake housing lead to him experiencing the same issue, and when cleaned the noise went away. I will be trying this also but if anyone else has any more insight I welcome it

Halfdane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L turbo diesel
I have this problem also, and followed the same procedure, thinking it was bearings or something rotating. Did you clean the e-brake housing and did it help? Also, how did you clean it? Did you use a resource? I am not informed on what part of the truck the e-brake housing is located and how to clean it. Thanks in advance.