Ride quality of a 3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe442

Reaction score
Test driving both 2500 and 3500 srw tomorrow to compare the ride. But all I can find locally is a 3500 srw diesel and when I order it will be gas. Is the ride different between 3500 diesel and gas? I’m looking for the comfort factor when not towing.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
Test driving both 2500 and 3500 srw tomorrow to compare the ride. But all I can find locally is a 3500 srw diesel and when I order it will be gas. Is the ride different between 3500 diesel and gas? I’m looking for the comfort factor when not towing.
Does it have the auto leveling air bags because that system makes it ride more like a car and less like a truck, even when empty.

OP
OP
J

Joe442

Reaction score
Don’t know. But good to know for when I order. I’ll see when I get there. But would the weight of the Cummins make a difference? Air bags or no bags?

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
Don’t know. But good to know for when I order. I’ll see when I get there. But would the weight of the Cummins make a difference? Air bags or no bags?
All I've owned is Cummins so I can't speak to that but if one had the air ride then that's what I'd get. That is if towing isn't a factor for you.

OP
OP
J

Joe442

Reaction score
All I've owned is Cummins so I can't speak to that but if one had the air ride then that's what I'd get. That is if towing isn't a factor for you.
Towing is a factor. So don't get air bags if towing? Still learning it all.

Have a few 5th wheel purchase options with different weight ranges. That's why I'm trying to decide on a 2500 or 3500.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
Towing is a factor. So don't get air bags if towing? Still learning it all.

Have a few 5th wheel purchase options with different weight ranges. That's why I'm trying to decide on a 2500 or 3500.
Ohhh no, the bags are great for both applications. I tow extremely heavy and love our air bags when empty and loaded on my drw. I would say if your going to get a fiver over 15-17k and travel allot then get the diesel or 3500, if your going to be a weekend warrior rver and under 15k then get the 2500 or gasser. But definitly do the air bags if you can afford to

OP
OP
J

Joe442

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Definitely will look into the air bags. Camper will either be 12000# or !4000# range. If the latter I will decide on the 3500 but don't want a rough ride. Air bags a definite plus.

Reason I want to stay away from Cummins is the additional $9400 and the less available payload.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I went from a 2500 gas, to a 3500 dually Cummins. The gas does ride better, but only marginally. The biggest factor is wheel size. Worst riding HD I owned was my 2016 Laramie Cummins, those 20" wheels were awful.

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just another opinion here…I tow a 10,500 lb (loaded) 5W with my 2500 Hemi and it does a great job. But if you’re looking at 14k dry 5W your best option is a diesel and that has to be a 3500. The 2500 Cummins payload would be too low. No opinion on airbags, I haven’t needed them.

RamGuy110

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've owned both and many others over the year. I think the 2500 Hemi with the air ride is super soft. The 3500 with the rear air ride is softer than just the standard leafs. I think the diesel rides stiffer, but not by much.

ddown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
had a 19 3500 regular Leafs and my 2022 has air suspension quite a difference in ride.

OP
OP
J

Joe442

Reaction score
Just another opinion here…I tow a 10,500 lb (loaded) 5W with my 2500 Hemi and it does a great job. But if you’re looking at 14k dry 5W your best option is a diesel and that has to be a 3500. The 2500 Cummins payload would be too low. No opinion on airbags, I haven’t needed them.
Test drove 2500 Hemi on Wednesday. Wasn’t a long drive but didn’t feel the need for air bags. Before I pull the trigger tho I will put it through a good test.

I’m leaning toward the lighter fiver I have in mind that’s around 11000 full with hitch weight of 1650 empty. That will give me 1300 on payload I can play with.

Do you tow any hilly or mountainous roads? I will be venturing upstate NY and PA.

Test drove with my brother and him and the dealer said that if I go for a 3500 I might as well get it with a Cummins. Especially if I choose the larger camper I want. Larger camper = more $$$ + Cummins = even more $$$. Ouch.

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Test drove 2500 Hemi on Wednesday. Wasn’t a long drive but didn’t feel the need for air bags. Before I pull the trigger tho I will put it through a good test.

I’m leaning toward the lighter fiver I have in mind that’s around 11000 full with hitch weight of 1650 empty. That will give me 1300 on payload I can play with.

Do you tow any hilly or mountainous roads? I will be venturing upstate NY and PA.

Test drove with my brother and him and the dealer said that if I go for a 3500 I might as well get it with a Cummins. Especially if I choose the larger camper I want. Larger camper = more $$$ + Cummins = even more $$$. Ouch.
Depending on how much you load up with and the weight of your hitch you might be closer to max payload than you think. We carry a lot in our rig and the sliding hitch and adapters probably add another 250-300 lbs. Our empty hitch weight is only 1250 and the CAT scale indicated I had about 2300 lbs sitting in there (5100 rear axle total, about 2800 of that being the truck itself ) My rear axle rating is 6300 so that’s not an issue. That said, if you don’t load too much you should be okay with payload…close but not over with a 1650 lb hitch weight. We are in Florida for the winters but a very long trip last summer took us through some long climbs with head winds, especially in South Dakota. The truck was very stable and there weren’t any white knuckle episodes but I’d recommend not looking at gas mileage during those climbing periods Over-all I got about 9 mph on the trip and we’re going to do it again this summer if gas prices don’t go a lot higher.
Another factor, with all that weight my truck only dropped about 1 1/2 inches, staying pretty level. I agree with you totally about the added expense if you go bigger rig with a 3500 Cummins. Great package but it all boils down to how much you want to spend. Good luck, hope it all works out for you.

OP
OP
J

Joe442

Reaction score
Thank you. Didn’t realize slider hitch was that heavy. Plus I just looked again and the hitch weight on my lighter top choice is actually 1780. This probably due to a second A/C. That I would want. And I have to think about firewood on my local trips. Think I’ll have to splurge on the 3500 to be safe.

Top choice in campers is the Open range roamer 264rls

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I owned two 2500’s….one Hemi and one Cummins. The Cummins is obviously heavier and it seemed that the front suspension was somewhat softer due to the weight. The rear of both trucks was the issue…made to haul they were both like battle wagons over the tiniest bumps. I’m sure air suspension would be a big improvement but it seems that after a year or two those become problematic. That’s why I went with standard suspension.

targetman96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I6 Diesel
Firebird, I have to 20s and agree the ride quality is horrible. What size do you change to?

swapwap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oem tires suck. Had oem self leveling air bags on previous truck, they are awesome for ride quality. I miss them. Get the 3500 with auto leveling oem bags and you’ll be perfect form you needs in weight and comfort

Olie426

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I've had a 3500 Hemi and now the 3500 HD dually. The Hemi road very harsh when no load was being pulled. The dually is much better. If I was to do anything to improve the ride, I'd start with Sulastic rubber springs first before dropping the money on airbags. Reviews all say they greatly improve ride quality and are affordable ($460 or so) not installed. Might be a viable option if you don't like the stock ride.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
I went from a 2500 gas, to a 3500 dually Cummins. The gas does ride better, but only marginally. The biggest factor is wheel size. Worst riding HD I owned was my 2016 Laramie Cummins, those 20" wheels were awful.
And a sweet looking red 3500 dually Cummins it is !

OP
OP
J

Joe442

Reaction score
Oem tires suck. Had oem self leveling air bags on previous truck, they are awesome for ride quality. I miss them. Get the 3500 with auto leveling oem bags and you’ll be perfect form you needs in weight and comfort
I am leaning towards the 3500. With airbags or someone mentioned here aftermarket ones. But now I’m trying to decide If I want gas or diesel. 11500 is gross on the camper but will be tackling hills in PA and upstate NY