Roll up tonneau cover suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I have had several Bakflips and they were great but for my current truck I bought a retrax because a folding one would not clear my 5th wheel. the reatrax has been good so far. it works better than the brand my son bought for his similar truck because the latch on his is in the center making it hard to get to when hooked up while the retrax has the latch/lock on the back driver side corner. easy to get to when hooked up.

OP
OP
K

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just ordered a Retrax one MX from Nick...very simple and easy, and a great price. Now, when it shows up, I hope it isn't 21 below zero Fahrenheit like it was this morning where I live!!! Screw this Iowa winter!!! Haha.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I had the tonno pro low roll (was like $250) but had a 10 yr warranty. I had it replaced once under warranty as the support bars separate from the top vinyl And the Velcro along the long edges tears away from the stitching. They last about 4 years each go with me. I’m now fed up and don’t want to replace with another and always wanted the BAK hard roll up. Wife got it for me for xmass and I’m waiting after the inter to
Put it in but man it’s heavy. I got the BAK revolver 4s and I just ordered the BakBox2 as I’m tired of having the husky container of tools in the back to move around when I need full bed access.

dutchbees

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I just traded my wife's durango for a 2022 ram 1500 limited. She wants a hard cover that is the roll up type, not a soft roll up. Any suggestions on brand and model to get? Thanks.
TRX-1546901 - TruXedo Sentry Tonneau Cover from RealTruck. Black vinyl over aluminum. Love it!

JohnBike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It looks real similar to the Truxedo, which is aluminum slats, but the rail interface is velcro, with one little dinky PLASTIC tab ~half way down to "keep" the tonneau from being bent up along the sides.
Which cover are you referring to? Your comment certainly doesn’t apply to the Revolver, since it uses a rotating rail which locks into teeth every inch and a half for the length of the closed cover. No Velcro.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wrong.

Look at some videos, is my best way of explaining how it locks. The only place you could pry it open is from the centre of the tailgate (causing major damage). The slats are aluminum and the seals are rubber.... No velcro on it.

Additionally, I'm able to run a Adarac ladder rack on top. I'll try to post some pictures.
That's how I thought it was built, until the OEM VIDEO they sent me to describe how it was held down clearly showed the PLASTIC locking tab half way down, and the Velcro along it.

If that's wrong, the OEM needs to check their damn video links.

Rubesly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 ******* Diesle
I have the Revolver and am happy with it.

Egglefield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I ordered a PPE-SLD7833 - Patriot Stealth LT Tonneau Cover on February 19, 2022 from RealTruck.com. First they sent a cover for a long bed instead of the short bed. I managed to have it replaced but it arrived damaged. There were 2 small holes in the cover. After repeated emails they sent the new cover that I have to mount myself in the box instead of them sending the complete package again. Finally I had the cover in early May.

Previously, I had a trifold that did not leak. This one leaks through all the time. I am not pleased with this purchase and I do not recommend the Patriot Stealth LT Tonneau Cover or RealTruck.com.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I had a SyneticUSA roll n lock cover on my 1500. It worked really well, was well built, and was quite a bit cheaper than other brands. However I have 2 gripes with those types of covers (and why I went with a roll up soft cover this go around):

1) The housing that the cover retracts into took up valuable bed space (think of a bed rail mounted tool box). It took up about a 1ft deep x 1.5 ft from the bedrails down chunk of my forward bed space. I could only load maybe 5-6 sheets of 3/4 plywood before running into the bottom of that housing.

2) I had to be super careful loading plywood so as not to snag the drain lines at each corner. I had ramboxes so my bed was just wide enough for 4x8 sheets of ply, so after 3-4 pieces I had to really pay attention so as not to rip one out.

I installed the Gator ETX soft cover on my 2500 and it was a breeze. Took maybe 30 minutes tops and it has been 100% waterproof. I'll also add... it has been holding a 3" sheet of ice on it since last week. The ice finally popped off yesterday and the top is unscathed. Very impressed so far. Ice dammed up along the sides at the velcro and my bed is bone dry even after it all melted.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the Mopar hard cover on my old truck,never again,as it was heavy and ackward to take on and off by yourself. The wife hated it,as she couldn't really see the back passenger side when she shoulder checked .
Looks mighty familiar, mine is just Flamecoat Red lol.

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Nearly went with the Retrax pro , but that canister that it rolls up in prevents the things I like to haul up against the bed when towing the fifth wheel. Truxedo soft covers work for me .

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have had several Bakflips and they were great but for my current truck I bought a retrax because a folding one would not clear my 5th wheel. the reatrax has been good so far. it works better than the brand my son bought for his similar truck because the latch on his is in the center making it hard to get to when hooked up while the retrax has the latch/lock on the back driver side corner. easy to get to when hooked up.
I have a chance to buy a new BakFlip for a great price , but I too tow a fifth wheel. I need to know what the distance is from the the front of the bed when the cover is folded up to see if it clears my fifth wheel hitch . I use the Andersen hitch , so as long as it’s behind the ball about 4 inches , shouldn’t be an issue. I have a 2014 3500 Megacab with the 6-4 bed .

azaustin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
After much research, I bought a Peragon and have regretted it. I had a Mopar fold up on my Gladiator and wish I had opted for one of those again. You do lose some visibility out of the back window, but that was never an issue for me, especially with the rear view camera. My issues with the Peragon are that the mechanism for the trucks to roll up on is kind of flimsy, you lose a lot of space under that area when the unit is up, and there is no insulation on the cover panels, unlike the Mopar unit. That’s a big issue in Arizona, where I live. My Mopar cover was simple, bullet-proof and let me use my entire bed when necessary. I would have returned the Peragon within the return period, but my partner suffered a serious illness that kept me occupied for several months about the time I purchased it. I will say that Peragon’s warranty service is good.

blackram446

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He I 5.7
I just traded my wife's durango for a 2022 ram 1500 limited. She wants a hard cover that is the roll up type, not a soft roll up. Any suggestions on brand and model to get? Thanks.
Pace Edwards Full Metal Jackrabbit. Have had it on my RamBox equipped 2013 1500 for over 10 years. Only issue was damn crows tore up the rubber wiper seals on top edge. $14 from Pace Edwards for new seals. Top notch quality, lockable. Aluminum construction.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's how I thought it was built, until the OEM VIDEO they sent me to describe how it was held down clearly showed the PLASTIC locking tab half way down, and the Velcro along it.

If that's wrong, the OEM needs to check their damn video links.
When you push the final slat down, at the tailgate, an aluminium bar rotates into place, into a tooth built into each slat. Even if you pry up the one end, the bottom of the tooth/groove is still being held down by the aluminum bar. You'd have to pry up several teeth, then climb on top of the cover to try prying the aluminum bar up in the opposite direction, then hop down and try to pry the cover up again from the original direction.

I don't understand people like you, who have only ever seen a video in passing, disagree with someone who literally owns and uses the damn thing every day. You think I come on here just to lie to people about my tonneau cover?

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
Pace Edwards Full Metal Jackrabbit. Have had it on my RamBox equipped 2013 1500 for over 10 years. Only issue was damn crows tore up the rubber wiper seals on top edge. $14 from Pace Edwards for new seals. Top notch quality, lockable. Aluminum construction.
the Retrax is metal too.

Rebel_trevor12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine is a BAK REVOLVER X4S, easy to roll and it have an aluminum slots that is bonded with a vinyl. I think what I like about this is it does not have velcro.

I bought mine from tonneaucovered.com - give them my username and you will get $50 discount

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I've had the Bak Revolver X2 (rolls above rails, no velcro, full lock down sides), PaceEdwards Roll n Lock (takes space in bed area at cab below rails) and the Truxedo Sentry (above rails w/velcro & plastic latches).

I very much liked the full lock down the sides of the Bak Revolver, but would like it to have velcro similar to the truxedo to seal it better (same company so why not?). I ended up adding extra latches to my Truxedo Sentry...

- DIY - Truxedo Sentry Review/Latch Mod on 5th Gen Ram 1500 w/Rambox & videos

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I added a passenger side latch to my Truxedo Pro 15X. I primarily did it for fear that on a 2-lane highway a passing truck in a strong cross wind might (?) rip it loose from the single latch and Velcro and then it would whip around and beat up the truck. I read an account of this happening with a soft cover on a Toyota. Probably not a realistic concern until the side Velcro gets considerable worn but for a very few bucks it gave me peace of mind and took me about 5 minutes to install. It does make it marginally more difficult to unlatch as the system is pretty rigid and both latches have to be tripped together and the closure lifted uniformly. Fortunately I have long arms.

OP
OP
K

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got my Retrax delivered today. That was fast!! Thanks Nick!! Now, if I can just find the time and energy to install it on the wife's truck!! Energy is low dealing with cancer and chemo...I put an S&B intake on my truck today, and am totally gassed from that.