Roof Light Bar Whistle Solution for < $4 (DIY)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In all honesty, the zip ties are not that bad of an option for a temporary fix. I can't blame you... I'd find a way to get rid of the "wind whistle" too, especially if you are about to drive that far. For oncoming traffic, they won't see the zip ties, so who cares?

Now, as far as heat relief, that may not be the best idea. But, I don't have a lightbar, and probably won't have one, so I can't give any ideas on how to get rid of the whistle noise. :D I can't recall, but I think I've seen some write-ups of people putting rubber strips on the front edge of the light bar to help disrupt the airflow. You might try that?

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The ****** snarky comments aside, if it stops the noise and your light doesn't get too hot, I think its fine for what it is. If YOU are worried about the looks, you'll figure something out. The main point is the light already kept you from hitting those swamp-donkeys!!! Good luck with your move and than you for your service.

OP
OP
paton.h

paton.h

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
When I get down to Georgia I'll try some options..I like the idea of the windshield washer hose in between the fins so the fins can still be exposed. Generally heat and electronics don't go well together but I feel like the weather (weathering) would be more of an issue for the service life of the component but heat would also play a huge factor. For now, this will get me through Canada and be better for visibility vs only stock non-projector dual dodge headlights

Thanks everyone for their input also

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
DISCLAIMER: DO NOT ALTER OR INSTALL ANYTHING ON YOUR LIGHT BAR, COULD CAUSE SERIOUS DAMAGE TO EQUIPMENT OR SERIOUS INJURY TO PERSONNEL

Sorry, don't want anyone to cause a fire..anyways, lol

So a couple of weekends ago I painstakingly installed my 52 inch light bar on the roof (6 hr + job) and I was kindof expecting a whistle from but not that loud (sounded like a pot of water boiling from a tea kettle whistler). Was looking for a cheap yet effective solution..I found a couple online but ended up going to Lowes and I bought a 1 inch diameter copper pipe insulator and zip ties. The aft fins (I think they're cooling fins) are what makes the whistle so I attached the insulator to it and the noise is gone..wonderful quietness once again.

On a side note how hot do these bars get while they're on or what the purpose of the aft fins are? I don't really plan on running it sitting still or for very long periods of time.

I wish my hood wasn't white in color but also the picture doesn't justify how much light it really puts out compared to the stock headlights I'm running

sorry man but that looks terrible. just live with the whistle for the love of all that is sacred!

Island

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
haha i understand how bad the wind noise issue is really. If you want to drive and talk to someone, you wont be saying just live with it. Also the wind caused my windshield and rear view mirror to shake above 50mph. While your approach works, you might want to try using something less bulky. I used Cowles Edge Trim 18
You dont need zip ties at all,and you dont even have to put it on every fin.

Dbenson32

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Ram 1500 TRX
Engine
If you're fine with it then that's all that matters. Disregard the haters who have whistling lights lol