Royal Purple 20-820 Oil Filters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Im gonna put an order in to jegs.
If i dont have the hemi tick should i still start using 5w30?

Yes, lol. It is very special formula.

Consider pricing through nick@gotexhaust, many times he is the cheapest place to get redline. Just add him to vendors to check his price, also for all redline fluids, he will put a package together that will be best price, no joke. As good as redline engine oil is, it may be a better choice to use redline tranny and diff and brake fluid, and s1-1 fuel cleaner. If you have an 08 ram, these fluids will really make a difference in performance. I probably would have said stay with whatever oil you were using before and move the other things to redline, lol. Sometime redline hyper cleans older engine, keep an eye on the dip stick, look for early darkness or little pieces of burnt oil.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Consider pricing through nick@gotexhaust, many times he is the cheapest place to get redline. Just add him to vendors to check his price, also for all redline fluids, he will put a package together that will be best price, no joke. As good as redline engine oil is, it may be a better choice to use redline tranny and diff and brake fluid, and s1-1 fuel cleaner. If you have an 08 ram, these fluids will really make a difference in performance. I probably would have said stay with whatever oil you were using before and move the other things to redline, lol. Sometime redline hyper cleans older engine, keep an eye on the dip stick, look for early darkness or little pieces of burnt oil.

Thanks, im gonna hit him up for an exhaust in time, great to know he sells the fluids too.
I did have an 08 b4 this 16, it did have a tic, i thought it was injectors! Use to go threw about 2 quarts in 3k miles, no sign of oil anywhere. 16 is just so much better of a ride, glad i made the switch.

On a side note, my buddy has a 98 chevy 2500 5.7l vortec, 450k! Original engine trans, uses mobile one and ac Delco filter changed at 5k interval's, i told him just use a fram ultra filter and he may make 1mil!

Last edited:

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I admit I wish I knew more about oils and filters before going crazy on rockauto. 2yr ago, I bought a box of 12 wix (non xp) for the ram. I have 9 left...that's 7years worth. I should try and sell them at a loss and pickup the rp filters or wix xp.

Atleast I'm now running 5w30 instead of the veggie oil people call 5w20.

I change the oil filter every 3000miles as my oci is 6k.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thanks, im gonna hit him up for an exhaust in time, great to know he sells the fluids too.
I did have an 08 b4 this 16, it did have a tic, i thought it was injectors! Use to go threw about 2 quarts in 3k miles, no sign of oil anywhere. 16 is just so much better of a ride, glad i made the switch.

On a side note, my buddy has a 98 chevy 2500 5.7l vortec, 450k! Original engine trans, uses mobile one and ac Delco filter changed at 5k interval's, i told him just use a fram ultra filter and he may make 1mil!

yeah nick is as 12 bucks a qrt everyday price, I believe ship is free? and usually no tax unless you are in his state, I think. That is cheaper then any brick ad morter here and he supports ram forum. Many guys just buy from amazon thinking they are cheaper, but most guys find Nick is cheaper all said and done.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
yeah nick is as 12 bucks a qrt everyday price, I believe ship is free? and usually no tax unless you are in his state, I think. That is cheaper then any brick ad morter here and he supports ram forum. Many guys just buy from amazon thinking they are cheaper, but most guys find Nick is cheaper all said and done.

yep $84 shipped. too bad he cant get the rp filters. would be a perfect turn key package

Jendsley06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Royal purple filters use the same microglass media as Mobil 1 filters. Made o the same production line. And at least in my area both are available at Walmart every day. I think about $10 for the Mobil 1, haven't priced the RP just saw them there. They make RP (or at least a few years ago when I was there) in smaller runs due to demand/sales, probably why supplies are short sometimes. Both excellent filters. The microglass is a superior media.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Royal purple filters use the same microglass media as Mobil 1 filters. Made o the same production line. And at least in my area both are available at Walmart every day. I think about $10 for the Mobil 1, haven't priced the RP just saw them there. They make RP (or at least a few years ago when I was there) in smaller runs due to demand/sales, probably why supplies are short sometimes. Both excellent filters. The microglass is a superior media.

m1 are combo filters, 1/2 microglass 1/2 paper. m1 are great filters no doubt, if you haven't read filter thread see my sig interesting stuff.

doubleM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Help please, what is s1-1 fuel cleaner? And your suggestion is Redline trans and differential fluid, and perhaps stick with current oil? (QSUD) Thanks in advance.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Help please, what is s1-1 fuel cleaner? And your suggestion is Redline trans and differential fluid, and perhaps stick with current oil? (QSUD) Thanks in advance.

If it aint broke don't fix it, if your hemi is running smooth on qsud stick with it I say, you can opt for 5w30 same brand as well, and back it up with uoa's, but no doubt that is a hemi friendly oil.

Transmisions and gears are less forgiving, as they don't have three cooling systems to keep cool (fans, oil cooler, coolant), so yes ester based fluids make a difference, brakes as well. Do you have an 08 ran as in sig still?

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I didn't realize under my avatar it even said 08! Im on my phone and that only shows if i flip it sideways lol well im up to date now, sorry if i confused you on my earlier post.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So you have the 8 speed and not the preheated diffs, I believe that lovely piece of science is in 5 gens. So redline D6 is compaitable with zf8 fluid in performance, but is cheaper. The zf8 fluid is actually a good fluid as well, you will just pay a lot more for it. If it were me, unless there was an issue, I'd probably wait til I had near 90k miles on zf fluid before changing.

Diff fluid in most cases is 75w140
(this one) in rear and 75w90 (this one) or close in front diff for the 1500's. Make sure you don't get the NS redline, those are the ones you want, see oem specs page. So either redline or Amsoil SG or even m1 will be good choices of Mopar diff fluids, much paper out there suggests mopar gear fluids are a pass. Diffs are funny, because you can get contamination in them, guys should be poping the rubber gromet every 6 months and checking the fluid warm to make sure the fluid sits down, no foam or water intrusion.

Brakes, all fluid is hydroscopic, cheap brakes fluids boil at 330f, which is fine you wont boil your brake fluid. The issue is overtime, unless you do brake flushes every 3 years like most manu's recomend, your fluid degrades, even redline will degrade over time. The thing is Redline starts at a higher boil temp, so even if it falls off it wont be getting to 330f unless there is something wrong with the system and you are getting too much water in there. However, the cheaper brake fluids degrade and braking is comramised ovetime. Two weekends ago my good friend came over because he was "losing his brakes". He wanted to do pads, but his fluid was black so I insisted we do fluid as well. We did the pads and drove around, still was janky, we flushed the fluid just with the cheap stuff he is a cheap *******, 16 ounces then 32 ounces, two flushes, his brakes were like brand new. Now, he put's off maintenance, if he would have used redline his brakes likely wouldn't become janky in the first place, it will take a lot longer to get brake fade with good brake fluid. Doesn't have to be redline, in syn thread there is a list of brake fluids and starting boiling temps for dot 4, any of those will serve you well when the starting boiling temp is 400f plus.

Redline s1-1 uses the same stuff in techron, just more of it. Goes in fuel and also has carrier oil so it helps with cleaning. I would use it a few tanks before your oil change. Techron and Amsoil PI will likely do some cleaning as well. Think detergent versus solvent, PEA the active ingrediant is a detergent, it is more effective then a solvent. Gas itself is a solvent, adding 16 ounces solvent to a solvent will only be so effective. Just find a PEA fluel cleaner once a month or so, should keep those plugs clean.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Filter came yesterday and 2 gallons of redline today!
Not sure how many oil changes this truck has had, it was my co-workers lease with 5700k. Its not worth testing what im about to change right? Best to do it after the redline/rp filter gets a cycle?

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
Not sure how many oil changes this truck has had, it was my co-workers lease with 5700k. Its not worth testing what im about to change right? Best to do it after the redline/rp filter gets a cycle?

thats what i did. bought my truck with 67k miles. dealer serviced prior to. i just did my second redline change and sent out a sample. i thought about doing it the first time but decided to wait. can look at it both ways. doing it with old oil gives you something to compare to. assuming you meant 5700 miles, shouldnt be any engine wear that you could catch early. i went about 7300 miles on the redline and am getting the tbn analysis as well to see if i can stretch that out some more.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yeah 5700 miles lol i now have 8700, i put 3k on in 6 months but wife keeps stealing it also! I have a work van so the ram is for pleasure and homedepot runs

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

how many miles on truck? Unless there is a problem, uoa's will show a lot of wear until engine is broken in after 30k miles.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
how many miles on truck? Unless there is a problem, uoa's will show a lot of wear until engine is broken in after 30k miles.

8700 mile now.
Truck shows 60% oil life left on what ever the dealer used and ive got 3k on that oil change, should i drop it and do the switch to redline now or still wait? Dont wanna be doing it in the cold months!

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
8700 mile now.
Truck shows 60% oil life left on what ever the dealer used and ive got 3k on that oil change, should i drop it and do the switch to redline now or still wait? Dont wanna be doing it in the cold months!
if money is no concern and you are going to switch, i vote do it now. get that moly bonding started asap.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So the bigger filter fits this? Gasket is in same location with just the can being wider I guess?
IMG_20190919_165701.jpg

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I think ill order the 10-48 also this way im not screwed if it dont fit when i change it. That stock filter is so small