Safety group package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ctc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 etorque
Hello, I'm shopping new 2500s. I think I want the safety group package since it has the adaptive cruise control. However, the adaptive cruise on my current SUV is pretty bad so I am wondering how well it works on the 2500? I did try it out on a test drive yesterday and it seemed ok but that's no substitute for everyday real world use.

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I’ve driven a bmw, jag, Honda, Mazda, and nothing is done better than my dodge challenger and Ram, as far is it goes with adaptive cruise.

OP
OP
ctc

ctc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 etorque
Acura mdx

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The adaptive cruise on my wife's Jeep is fantastic! So much so that you almost don't realize the guy in front of you slowed down from 70 to 55 until other drivers are flying by you.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Adaptive cruise on the 2020 Grand Cherokee is GREAT. My 2021 Laramie 2500 I intentionally didn't get adaptation cruise, just regular cruise, because if I ordered that the package also came with Lane Keep, Auto emergency braking etc that I did not want on a pickup that spends more than 80% of its time not on pavement. If I could have ordered it as standalone, I would have got it in a heart beat.

The other thing I wanted was cross path detection and Blind spot monitoring, but those were cut due to lack of chips. I may get those retro fitted yet.

Last edited:

madpuma13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have ACC on my 2500 and use it daily.

Coming from vehicles that only had regular cruise control, ACC is fantastic.

The only thing I would say I don't particularly care for is how quick it is to apply the brakes when someone comes into your lane and/or when a vehicle in front of you slows down to exit the highway.

I started to figure out when it's getting ready to do this and I just tap the gas pedal to override ACC and prevent it from braking.

Other than that, it does an excellent job staying at the speed you set and gently slowing down and speeding up with another vehicle in front of you. It can bring the truck to a complete stop but it will disable itself if you stay stopped for too long. I disable it when editing the highway, I just figured that out while I was initially testing it.

OP
OP
ctc

ctc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 etorque
Does it react pretty quickly when a car in front of you is turning and get back up to speed rapidly once the path is clear?

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have the safety package on my 2500. I honestly normally dont use any of it. The lane sense hardly works around here with the roads we drive on. Tried the adaptive cruise, and it does work pretty nice, compared to our pacifica van. But if the guy in front of you slows it will slam on the brakes very severely w/o warning. When the path is clear, it will exccelrate up to speed. Mine is a diesle so its too abrupt. Our chrysler van (gas), it floors itself on the acceleration back to cruise speed... to the point its scary. So you have to baby sit that feature in order to not get whiplash. I can deal with it, but my wife will not allow the stuff to turned on if she is in the truck.

madpuma13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does it react pretty quickly when a car in front of you is turning and get back up to speed rapidly once the path is clear?
It definitely reacts quickly but also abruptly when braking. If it's normal so and go traffic, it's fine. But if you have someone in front of you that is tailgating and slams on the brakes frequently, the ACC will also be slamming on the brakes. I do wish they eased the way it brakes.

As for acceleration, it's normal gentle acceleration. It's never "gunned" it, or "floored" it for me. I one hundred percent let the truck on ACC do the accelerating for me, I just watch for when I think it's going to brake.

I don't want another vehicle without it. It has done limitations but as someone on the highway a lot, it's advantages far out weigh the negatives.

OP
OP
ctc

ctc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 etorque
Thanks everyone. I picked up my 24 Rebel HD with safety group on Friday. Liking the ACC so far!

Burton Shriber

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Does seem to recognize big trucks with more sensitivity, and stays further back from them

OP
OP
ctc

ctc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 etorque
So far it is much better than my Acura MDX. It would slow down when passing cars on the interstate like it was afraid of them lol.

I did encounter the excessive braking today when someone was turning right on a 2 lane road. I will adjust accordingly in the future.

JGrantham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO 6.7
No issues running ACC on my 2024 3500, even while towing only 6,500lbs. Braking is fairly aggressive, but im guessing it needs to be on a heavy vehicle. Acceleration is smooth back up to the set speeds. I plan on testing this feature with a friend while pulling a heavier trailer to see how everything reacts.

Reactions: ctc