Saftey concern.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackhawk05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Morning everybody. This past weekend i picked up my 2014 1500 5.7 L with the 8 speed tranny. The other day my girlfriend was sitting in the middle of the bench seat hugging her knees the her chest afraid to hit the dash mounted gear shifter ( PRND) when i was cruising on the highway. which got me thinking, does that have a built in lock? kind of like the door locks after you hit a certain speed? i tested it going 30 and turned it into neutral. wasn't about to test throwing it into reverse. i did in the drive way though at a roll, and it went to reverse and sent me backwards. thanks for the help!

Esgordon123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
It will not shift into rev or park after a certain speed. I don't know what it is. Some one on here said they reached over to turn down the radio and shifted to park and all that happened was the truck started to beep and the evic said to fast to shift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
^^

one of the members turned the dial to P accidentally on the highway, and it flashed and EVIC displayed the message.

Personally think that the dial shifter shouldn't be in a truck, but then again I don't like dual rear exit exhausts on trucks either.

OP
OP
B

Blackhawk05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
thanks for the help! yeah I'm not a huge fan of the dial either. but I'm a fan of the 8 speed tranny

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think it would be far easier for her to knock a column shifter out of gear than it woud be for her to switch the selecter knob out of position.

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I think it would be far easier for her to knock a column shifter out of gear than it woud be for her to switch the selecter knob out of position.

i had a girl kick over chocolate milkshake on the console and cupholder, i felt proud at the time but it was a ***** to clean up

if you can get her to knock a column shift out of gear..:favorites13:

Jonesy08054

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Turbo Diesel
There's been a few times I went to put the truck into Drive, and next thing I know I'm blasting the stereo! I need to start paying better attention to what I'm grabbing!

chris*1989

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The truck won't let you shift into anything "dangerous" inadvertently. You can't shift into certain 4WD modes while in D or motion. Can't shift out of park of neutral from a dead stop without your foot on the brake, and can't switch down to R or P while in motion.

cheeseball

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was at the dealer going between 5 mph and 10 mph and asked the sales guy if I put it into park right now what would happen? He said go for it and it locked up and abruptly stopped! Be careful at lower speeds!

The dial would be great if it were located up higher or on the left so middle seat passenger's can't bump it or a kid mess with it.

jcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
you guys are really that worried about the dial shifter?

Sheesh.

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A floor shifter seems like it would be much easier to shift out of gear than a dial shifter that is up and out of the way. And if your kids are reaching to play with your dial shifter, they could easily reach a floor shifter as well.

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
A floor shifter seems like it would be much easier to shift out of gear than a dial shifter that is up and out of the way. And if your kids are reaching to play with your dial shifter, they could easily reach a floor shifter as well.

that could easily be a smack in the face too :roflsquared:

but i was raised in the 90s in England, different lessons

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7

When kids were raised right, unlike today... :favorites13:

I am not sold on the idea of a knob to shift into gear, but then again my column shifter isn't exactly sexy either, lol!

Last edited:

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One thing about the dial shifter that's nice is if you have a full console, you get even more storage space. Also could be said of a column shifter (except that it seems that the column shifter was only put in trucks with front bench seats)

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
only issue i've had with the dial is sometimes forgetting to put it in park when i turn off the truck. it took a bit of getting used to but i kinda prefer the dial now

Mr. Crowley

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 2500 4x4 Crew Cab
Engine
5.7Hemi
I'm just glad to have a column shifter. I'm not a fan of console shifters unless its a manual, and the dial is something I never want. If it were the only option I'd seriously consider going back to Ford trucks...

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I dont see why they couldn't put the shifter like the whats in the charger and 300.

Last edited:

jcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I dont see why they couldn't put the shifter like the whats in the charger and 300.
Trucks with consoles have it I thought?

I really think the 'safety issue' of the rotary shifter is being overblown here. It's got a positive electronic stop on it and the truck is smart enough that if you happen to shift into r while driving too fast it just doesn't let the trans change gears.

As for someone bumping it or kicking it, it sticks out literally an inch from the dash and is pretty even with the radio section to the right of it. They'd have to be Bruce Lee to kick it the right way to move it.

Even bumping it, with what? Passengers in the middle front seat shouldn't be moving around that much while driving to begin with and unless your foot is on the brake at a stop the dial won't turn. If a tall person has to sit there and bumps it with their knee, the computer won't let it shift and you'll just have to remind them to be careful.

There's literally no functional argument against the rotary shifter. Everyone who has such a huge problem with it that I've talked to eventually admits that they don't think it's a manly or tough as a column shift. And if that's what it takes to make you feel manly or tough, you've got bigger problems than the shifter in your truck.

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A

You think being raised in the 90's was tough? Try the 70's. Man, some of those scars will never heal! Even teachers in school used to have the authority to paddle you back then. I remember more than one paddle snapping in two against the backside of a young rapscallion while in the hand of an angry, spiteful old nun. We'd laugh our asses off watching that (but never out loud or we would be next!!)

I've seen a lot of chatter on Durango sites voicing displeasure for the rotary shifter, too. I have no experience with it so my opinion is bumpkis, but I figure it's just a learning curve and people will grow into it soon enough.