Second air filter ??? 2018 RAM 1500 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My 2017 Ram 1500 pentastar didn't have one, nor does my 2019 classic w/ hemi.

Sorry if it's been mentioned, but I'm curious as to what exact models this fume catcher filter is on?

Like mentioned above, on one of my Subarus I ripped it off and trimmed what was left of the plastic rivets with a utility knife.

Other than that, the only way to replace this carbon filter is to replace the whole air cleaner cover.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
My 2017 Ram 1500 pentastar didn't have one, nor does my 2019 classic w/ hemi.

Sorry if it's been mentioned, but I'm curious as to what exact models this fume catcher filter is on?

Like mentioned above, on one of my Subarus I ripped it off and trimmed what was left of the plastic rivets with a utility knife.

Other than that, the only way to replace this carbon filter is to replace the whole air cleaner cover.
mine had it- i removed mine

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2019 classic had it, took it off. Im pretty sure all it does is filter out heavier oil from the breather that goes into the airbox. Since I have mine bypassed and plugged, it's worthless to me.

Oskarvill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2019 ram 1500 5.7 hemi and it has this filter on mine. I have a drop in k and n. I just removed this 2nd filter and it increased my mpg by 3 mpg. I don't know how but I also have a magnaflow muffler. So maybe that was restricting my full potential.

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2019 ram 1500 5.7 hemi and it has this filter on mine. I have a drop in k and n. I just removed this 2nd filter and it increased my mpg by 3 mpg. I don't know how but I also have a magnaflow muffler. So maybe that was restricting my full potential.

So are you saying Ram installed a filter in the air box lid to reduce the fuel mileage by 3 mpg?

Reactions: U&A

Jeff Strader

BlackBeauty
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2019 5th Gen RAM 1500 Bighorn 4x4 and it has the same thing in the Breather Lid. I'm guessing if it does get clogged, you WILL have to purchase the entire lid section and OR maybe just simply remove it (personally I wouldn't remove it and I'm sure not advising anyone to do so)

Had second thought concerning function of "Second Filter". I am thinking it could be wired in as part of the 'Mass Flow Air Sensor System'. Maybe it's there to tell the computer how much air is being drawn in, in order to tell the owner/operator, when the main air filter is dirty and not allowing the proper amount of air into the system...."just my thoughts"............................ps: I just got off the phone with Dodge and the Tech had NO CLUE as to what it is or it's function. He's NEVER noticed it before. He's going to ask Chrysler it's function and get back with me on it.

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2019 5th Gen RAM 1500 Bighorn 4x4 and it has the same thing in the Breather Lid. I'm guessing if it does get clogged, you WILL have to purchase the entire lid section and OR maybe just simply remove it (personally I wouldn't remove it and I'm sure not advising anyone to do so)

Had second thought concerning function of "Second Filter". I am thinking it could be wired in as part of the 'Mass Flow Air Sensor System'. Maybe it's there to tell the computer how much air is being drawn in, in order to tell the owner/operator, when the main air filter is dirty and not allowing the proper amount of air into the system...."just my thoughts"............................ps: I just got off the phone with Dodge and the Tech had NO CLUE as to what it is or it's function. He's NEVER noticed it before. He's going to ask Chrysler it's function and get back with me on it.
I don’t remember exactly when I did it but I think it’s been close to six, seven months ago now when I got rid of my Mopar cold air intake and reinstalled the original airbox but before I did, I removed that little filter from the bottom side of the top piece that goes over the air filter and so far, I really haven’t seen, heard or felt anything out of the ordinary with it not being on there and not to mention the fact that when my I had the Mopar cold air kit on before, that little bitty filter wasn’t around so I really don’t think it serves a purpose at all unless it’s just there to cut down on the sound or maybe cut down on gas odor outside the truck, I don’t know.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

There are no wires on it that go anywhere but keep us posted on what the tech has to say about IF he ever gets back to you. I'm sure it's function has already been mentioned in this old 7 page thread.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are no wires on it that go anywhere but keep us posted on what the tech has to say about IF he ever gets back to you. I'm sure it's function has already been mentioned in this old 7 page thread.
There was plenty of assumptions and thoughts to what it might be for but I don’t think it was ever said exactly why it’s there.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There was plenty of assumptions and thoughts to what it might be for but I don’t think it was ever said exactly why it’s there.
You're correct but apparently it isn't there for too much a reason because I removed the one in my 21 BTS about six months ago and there was absolutely no noticeable difference.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
its a carbon filter to prevent those pesky emissions from leaking out the manifold while the motor is OFF :roflsquared:
imagine that!
must have been a slow day at the CARB office that day. that or cheech and chong snuck in a huge roach that morning and everyone had a toke and someone was like "hey man you know what would be WILD? having like a filter in the intake, to you know, save the planet bro!!!!1!"

epic :drunk:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
its a carbon filter to prevent those pesky emissions from leaking out the manifold while the motor is OFF :roflsquared:
imagine that!
must have been a slow day at the CARB office that day. that or cheech and chong snuck in a huge roach that morning and everyone had a toke and someone was like "hey man you know what would be WILD? having like a filter in the intake, to you know, save the planet bro!!!!1!"

epic :drunk:
Hmm, that’s strange because for the four years I drove my truck with that Mopar cold air intake installed, I never smelled anything like that and even now for the past, whatever it’s been, six, eight months that I’ve been using my factory air filter box with that filter removed, I’m still not smelling anything like that.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hmm, that’s strange because for the four years I drove my truck with that Mopar cold air intake installed, I never smelled anything like that and even now for the past, whatever it’s been, six, eight months that I’ve been using my factory air filter box with that filter removed, I’m still not smelling anything like that.
hmmm i thought you would have caught the humor in my post... this is a non-problem that was invented in the head of some doped up university graduate that thought he would save the world from non existent emissions that may rise up and out of the motor and into *gasp* the all mighty atmosphere.
sorry ill try harder to be funny next time :party36:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hmmm i thought you would have caught the humor in my post... this is a non-problem that was invented in the head of some doped up university graduate that thought he would save the world from non existent emissions that may rise up and out of the motor and into *gasp* the all mighty atmosphere.
sorry ill try harder to be funny next time :party36:
No, I picked up on the humor, I was just simply sayin’ I haven’t smelled anything out of the ordinary because humor aside, I could see some hippie-liberal coming up with some hair-brained idea like this just to not offend somebody with a slight gassy smell.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
No, I picked up on the humor, I was just simply sayin’ I haven’t smelled anything out of the ordinary because humor aside, I could see some hippie-liberal coming up with some hair-brained idea like this just to not offend somebody with a slight gassy smell.
ok good haha
honestly I dont think vehicles have had much evap emissions from the motor ever since they got rid of road draft tubes

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those air inlet plugs are there for EPA reasons? I figgered they plugged the holes just for looks, and for a little better fuel economy since they’d technically be useless unless there was the ducting there under the hood to channel the air to the Mopar CAI. I don’t have one of them sport hoods, nor have I looked at one up close but from what I’ve heard/read, unless you have the ram-air kit- which, Chrysler’s not gonna add that **** for free, you’d just have unsightly empty holes in your hood. That’ll look real nice...lol.

I agree, that not everybody buys a truck for gas mileage per-say but some us wanna at least feel a little bit like we’re not having to spend a small fortune at the gas pump...lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
On the sport hood (if we are still talking about the MOPAR CAI/Sport Hood vents, the hood has "plugs" that look like intakes, but factory are solid plastic. The CAI "intake kit" (brain is forgetting the actual name, and don't want to go digging for it again rn), has you remove one of those "dummy" plugs, and then pulls air in from there, into the CAI, which is why some people say the MOPAR CAI kit is "the best" on the market for us, as it gets air from the wheel well, AND above the truck. My issue is I thought the "upper" kit was active, and would close that, but on further inspection, it is just a really expensive duct, and replacement facia plate. (Like $200 for the upper kit, and I think the CAI itself is like $400) So for $600+, you get rain/snow into your filter at all times...