Serpentine belt problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pbrogdo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Good evening. I'm new to this forum but have been driving Dodge Ram Diesels since 1999. I am currently driving a 2010 2500 Ram 4x4 with the Cummins 6.7L with AC and the Jake brake. I have an issue... I replaced...I am replacing... the serpentine belt on my engine. I got the old one off, installed the new one (I drew a picture and verified it online), reinstalled the tensioner but can't get the belt back on the pulley. I have quadruple checked my routing, belt position, etc but can not get the new belt over the pulley. Are these things supposed to be this difficult? This isn't my first rodeo with serpentine belts but it is my first on this truck. The new belt is a NAPA 081264, 8PK3213. Am I trying to install the wrong belt? Any advice will be appreciated
PBrogdo

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good evening. I'm new to this forum but have been driving Dodge Ram Diesels since 1999. I am currently driving a 2010 2500 Ram 4x4 with the Cummins 6.7L with AC and the Jake brake. I have an issue... I replaced...I am replacing... the serpentine belt on my engine. I got the old one off, installed the new one (I drew a picture and verified it online), reinstalled the tensioner but can't get the belt back on the pulley. I have quadruple checked my routing, belt position, etc but can not get the new belt over the pulley. Are these things supposed to be this difficult? This isn't my first rodeo with serpentine belts but it is my first on this truck. The new belt is a NAPA 081264, 8PK3213. Am I trying to install the wrong belt? Any advice will be appreciated
PBrogdo
Did you stretch them out side by side before you started? The parts store has given me the wrong belts more than once and even the belts manufacturer is not totally beyond making a mistake. Even if its the same belt with the same part# I always compare the two before installing the new belt.

OP
OP
P

Pbrogdo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I did a general check but not to see if they were the exact length.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
What pulley are you trying to put the belt on last? You should have the belt on the tensioner pulley before installing the tensioner.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
QkPQLin.jpg I usually slide the belt onto the idler pulley # 9 in pic last because they is no lip on it. Of course it's a lot easier if you have someone helping you to relieve the tension from the tensioner pulley.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
That’s the way you’re supposed to do it. Slide it on to the water pump last. Lot easier to slide a belt onto a smooth pulley than a ribbed one.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Island-cowboy