service electronic throttle control 6.7 cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spencer2499

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 - 2016
Engine
5.2 - 6.7
i have a 2016 6.7 cummins with this light on tried replacing the camshaft position sensor like the dealer told me and it had no affect and i have weak heat tried flushing the heater core and no change wondering if i have one problem or multiple

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
No heat is the heater core, if flushing didn't work you will need to replace it. Extremely common problem.

Need to know the exact codes for the other issue.

OP
OP
S

Spencer2499

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 - 2016
Engine
5.2 - 6.7
throwing a camshaft position sensor code and i have no pedal commander or anything like that i also have where it goes up to temp and drops down to next to no temp thats when i lose my heat

OP
OP
S

Spencer2499

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 - 2016
Engine
5.2 - 6.7
codes p203f - reductant level low, uo10c - lost communication with turbocharger control module, p0340 - camshaft position sensor circuit b1s1,

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
P203F - This is the sensor that tells the computer how much DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) is left in the tank. It means that it thinks you're low on DEF. This either means you are, or the sensor in the DEF tank may be bad.

U010C - This is typically turbo actuator failure. Not super common, but it does happen. City Diesel sells a replacement actuator kit. Does the truck build any boost, and does the exhaust brake work? It could also mean a bad turbo, but it's more often the actuator than the turbo. If you don't run the exhaust brake to exercise the actuator arm it can stick due to soot build up. You can google how to test for which is the issue.

P0340 - Doesn't necessarily mean a cam position failure. It is a cam position sensor "A" CIRCUIT malfunction. If you replaced the cam sensor with no effect, the likely problem is the wiring.

Heater cores are an issue on this truck. Pretty easy to attempt a flush. If it doesn't work then you're out an hour of your time and you have to change the core. If it does, then you're golden.

Did you just buy this truck? Seems like someone was letting things sit without fixing them and allowed issues to stack up since none of these are related to the other unless on the super slim chance that you have a bad pcm.

OP
OP
S

Spencer2499

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 - 2016
Engine
5.2 - 6.7
yes the turbo builds boost and the exhaust brake works good i bought this truck 2 years ago and have ran it just about everyday since then hasn't sat at all since i got it i did put new injectors in last year if that's helpful and have replaced the thermostat multiple times along with the camshaft position sensor and i have mild heat just not good heat

OP
OP
S

Spencer2499

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 - 2016
Engine
5.2 - 6.7
P203F - This is the sensor that tells the computer how much DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) is left in the tank. It means that it thinks you're low on DEF. This either means you are, or the sensor in the DEF tank may be bad.

U010C - This is typically turbo actuator failure. Not super common, but it does happen. City Diesel sells a replacement actuator kit. Does the truck build any boost, and does the exhaust brake work? It could also mean a bad turbo, but it's more often the actuator than the turbo. If you don't run the exhaust brake to exercise the actuator arm it can stick due to soot build up. You can google how to test for which is the issue.

P0340 - Doesn't necessarily mean a cam position failure. It is a cam position sensor "A" CIRCUIT malfunction. If you replaced the cam sensor with no effect, the likely problem is the wiring.

Heater cores are an issue on this truck. Pretty easy to attempt a flush. If it doesn't work then you're out an hour of your time and you have to change the core. If it does, then you're golden.

Did you just buy this truck? Seems like someone was letting things sit without fixing them and allowed issues to stack up since none of these are related to the other unless on the super slim chance that you have a bad pcm.
yes the turbo builds boost and the exhaust brake works good i bought this truck 2 years ago and have ran it just about everyday since then hasn't sat at all since i got it i did put new injectors in last year if that's helpful and have replaced the thermostat multiple times along with the camshaft position sensor and i have mild heat just not good heat

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'd suggest taking it to a mechanic that specializes in diesels and have them run further diagnostics.

Do not fire the parts cannon at this. Get the cam position circuit checked. There's a chance you have a wiring problem.

If you have a little heat, actually measure the output from all 4 vents with a thermometer. A little cheap handheld unit works fine. You should be within 4-5 degrees of each other across all. If the driverside is more than 10 degrees cooler, you've got a heater core issue. You can put 100 thermostats in it, but if the heater core is the problem they won't fix it.

As for the turbo issue, look up the turbo actuator test. You need to determine if the issue is with the actuator rod. You can manually move it by hand. If you can't, then it's the likely culprit and needs replacement. The city diesel kit will allow you to replace it without needing a reprogram. It is a self-calibrating unit. If the rod moves manually, then chances are you could have a turbo issue. Again.. at that point you need a diesel tech to diagnose it.

OP
OP
S

Spencer2499

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 - 2016
Engine
5.2 - 6.7
thanks for the help ill do that and see what i come up with

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Sometimes, when unrelated sensors are reporting strange or implausible results, they may share a common grounding point, that ground should be checked if you can locate it. One way to discover if the issue is grounding is to measure the ground wire of each suspect sensor to ground. The meter should report 0 or very near 0 ohms.

bartsoasis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
i have a 2016 6.7 cummins with this light on tried replacing the camshaft position sensor like the dealer told me and it had no affect and i have weak heat tried flushing the heater core and no change wondering if i have one problem or multiple
If you have some heat there is hope.....look up a YouTube video of a guy flushing a 6.7 Cummins,he used a matco flush gun,I had the same problem, after buying the flush kit/gun he was using, I had great success, but if you have zero flow through it....there is little hope, you'll have to change the heater core