Service Shifter+Replaced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

appzattak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2017 ram 1500 was popping up the service shift selector a while ago and it kind of just disappeared and fixed itself while I had the new selector on order. I just replaced it with the brand new transmission shifter, rotary dial. I hooked my battery back up went and started my truck and a light went on on the shifter briefly went out and then my cluster was telling me to service shifter again and no lights will come on this new one at all. I reached out to the dealer where I bought the part and they say it is plug and play. So I'm not sure if this is just a waiting game with the computer or not, anyone else experience this?

Also I tried hooking up my original one and same thing, no lights will come on on it.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The one thing I see a lot of here is that after replacing electronics and reconnecting the battery it takes a couple cycles of on and off plus driving to get the whole system talking again. If you can drive it try to do a couple cycles and see if that resolved it all. Good luck

OP
OP
appzattak

appzattak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So unfortunately I wasn't able to drive it as the shifter was completely not working, however I did the couple of battery reconnects and let it just sit all night. Went out in the morning, opened my door and everything was working. So yeah definitely need some time after you replace it.

OP
OP
appzattak

appzattak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After replacing the shift module, the problem is back. There must be another failure point causing this and I'm not sure where to look next. I hear there is something at the transmission/frame under the truck. Anyone know where I might look??

kristop9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No input but dealing with similar situation so interested. 2014 1500 5.7 with the 8 speed rotary dial. Got the "service shifter" message and stuck in park. Oddly enough my battery was 6 years old and at ~11.7v. Bought a new Interstate from Costco (not an AGM). Replaced it, started truck and shifter worked! Yay! fast forward 3 days (i dont drive my truck every day) and same message was back. Tonight i am leaving everything disconnected and a tender on the battery to make sure when i try tomorrow everything is optimal.

Mine seems so oddly linked to my old battery having low voltage. I wonder if an AGM battery would help....

OP
OP
appzattak

appzattak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
so this issue continues to be intermittent, some days it'll work. some days it won't. I finally hooked up alpha ODB to my truck and seeing what the code that it was giving and here's a screenshot of what that is. does anyone have any idea where I can't look on the transmission where this shifter communication plugs into or where I should be looking to see if I've got any corroded wires or bad connections?

1000001769.png

kristop9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No input but dealing with similar situation so interested. 2014 1500 5.7 with the 8 speed rotary dial. Got the "service shifter" message and stuck in park. Oddly enough my battery was 6 years old and at ~11.7v. Bought a new Interstate from Costco (not an AGM). Replaced it, started truck and shifter worked! Yay! fast forward 3 days (i dont drive my truck every day) and same message was back. Tonight i am leaving everything disconnected and a tender on the battery to make sure when i try tomorrow everything is optimal.

Mine seems so oddly linked to my old battery having low voltage. I wonder if an AGM battery would help....
Solved mine with a new dial shifter assembly. Watched some Youtube videos on how to remove it, replaced, problem solved. I bought a used part off Ebay for ~$150, OEM is $475.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I would look at all the electrical connectors on the transmission and transfer case for broken/chewed wires and green corrosion.

It could be a bad connection, broken wire, corrosion, etc. on something on the data bus upstream of the dial shifter. Unfortunately, the way these data buses work, this makes everything downstream of the fault go dark.

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After replacing the shift module, the problem is back. There must be another failure point causing this and I'm not sure where to look next. I hear there is something at the transmission/frame under the truck. Anyone know where I might look??
The dealer replaced mine and said it was all good, well luckily it went out at the dealer. so they checked further into it and found the fuse cluster was all corroded. so the replaced that and all is good for 6 months now. i questioned how the heck they happened when its a sealed unit, but they showed me all the corrosion

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357