Shark Fin Antenna Relocate or Low Profile Antenna - Cab Over Camper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dsdsldave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Hi, I just got a new 2020 Ram 2500 Diesel Truck. I haul a pop up camper and it hits the shark fin antenna, which sits up over 3" over the roof (my old 2001 diesel didn't have that antenna).

Anyways, I don't want to raise the camper because I want to keep Center of Gravity of payload low as possible...I go to a lot of remote areas with hilly/bumpy roads, and you just travel better with a lower C of G.

So, I need to relocate sharkfin and plug the hole, or get a low profile antenna to replace the shark fin.

My truck has a shark fin and a puck.

I've read through a bunch of forum threads, and it sounds as if the shark fin is for system upgrades and maybe sirius XM....but maybe 2020 is different because others have said the sharkfin runs everything in newer vehicles. I Can't find any parts or detailed reroute ideas though...seems most people are adding a sharkfin and I want to move/delete mine lol.antenna pic.jpg

I'm looking for options for either:
* reroute to new area (not on the roof) and plug the hole on the roof
* low profile similar to puck antenna (1/2" thick puck) where shark fin located? Not sure if this exists?

Anyone have info on how to do this for 2020 Ram 2500?

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I can tell you that changing the shark fin to a lower profile will not work. It's shaped like that for a reason. That antenna is used for sirius and GPS and its shape is dictated by the frequency each technology uses. Also, the shark fin actually has 2 wires in the harness and 2 connectors (one for SAT, other for NAV). Think about it...If they were able to use two pucks, why wouldn't they?

I have to look for it, but some time ago I had an official document from Ram or Dodge that stated there is no official method to cap the hole when relocating the antenna is desired - their recommendation was to relocate a new shark fin and leave the old one in-place to maintain the factory seal (which doesn't work in your scenario). Maybe since then they created a blank dummy plate, who knows.

The document showed how it was routed and also mentioned the length of the harnesses and how many connectors were used had to be adhered to to maintain specification. Antenna technology is somewhat complex.

Shadowboxin20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Any luck on this? Is it possible to use a second dummy puck as the plug?

I’m going for it next week