Shark fin leaked now I have a whistle!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Walt_l

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
About a month ago I came out to find it raining INSIDE my 2013 Ram 2500 Laramie!! Rain was in the forecast for the next week so I needed a solution NOW. Went to the stealership because they could get me in and they said the shark fin gasket was deteriorated. They could replace the shark fin — $125 — plus $600-$700 labor. I declined.

I got it warm and inside. Applied some wax and silicone remover around the shark fin and then applied some clear silicone calk. It no longer rains inside my truck but at anything over 35 MPH, I get a whistle from the roof/sun roof area.

What’s my next step? If I can lower the headliner enough to get a wrench in there I might give the shark fin bolt a bit of tightening. Any other thoughts?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Buy the replacement seal or whole antenna if seal isn't available, remove the headliner, and install the new seal. You must have disturbed the airflow around the antenna and that is causing the whistle as air flow moves in a disrupted path.

Benny from All Mopar Parts in vendor section can help on part.

OP
OP
W

Walt_l

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
According to stealership, gasket isn’t available! SMH

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A couple of years ago I had to replace my shark fin antenna on my 2013, 1500 due to it stopped working. I found a new Mopar one, and I think it was around $50.00 at that time. Kind of pain to lower the headliner, but I was able to lower just enough to reach in and replace everything w/o taking the headliner completely down. I'm sure Benny can help, and use your VIN to get the correct one. Good luck with it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat