Single to Dually

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

biggdadd58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I am wanting to convert a 3500 SRW to a DRW due to the GVW of the SRW is lower and with the trailer that I have, this will not require to have CDL to tow it. Is there anyone out there out there that can tell me if the frame and spring locations are the same between the SRW and DRW? Also is there any electrical connections that might pose a problem?

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Im curious how you're going to go about doing this swap?

Also, why wouldnt you just buy a dually to begin with?

agpilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
This is like one of those can I make my 2WD trucks 4WD questions. Yes, it can be done but it's cost prohibitive and won't be as good a result as buying one from the factory.

If you need the the extra capacity trade your truck for one with a higher GVW.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I am wanting to convert a 3500 SRW to a DRW due to the GVW of the SRW is lower and with the trailer that I have, this will not require to have CDL to tow it. Is there anyone out there out there that can tell me if the frame and spring locations are the same between the SRW and DRW? Also is there any electrical connections that might pose a problem?

dually axle is 4" wider i believe. everything else should bolt in. or keep your stock axle and buy dually adapters.

with that said, converting your srw to a drw wont change your gvw. in fact, your adding more weight effectively doing the opposite of what your looking for.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Here is an interesting kit
http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/p-5918-kitap400-dodge2.aspx

Here is another one with the fenders and all
Adaptors, Wheels, Duality Fenders and Complete Kits - Arrowcraft :: Helping You Handle the Road for over 30 years!
Note: Not sure when dodge di this but the dually fenders are no longer bolted on but molded into the bed. Not sure if you could find bolt ons for a 2014. But I have seen dually take off beds for sale on ebay for around 2 to 3k.

Welcome to the ArrowCraft FAQ Center

Can I order on-line?
Not at this time. Due to the vast number of dual wheels, truck models, and other important information, we prefer to speak with our customers prior to them ordering. We want to make sure each client's needs are met 100%.

Will adding the dual conversion increase the GVWR of my truck?
No. What the dual wheel conversion gives you is the better stability (elimination of sway) and tire blow out protection. You will gain weight capability for the tires and wheels, but it will not surpass the factory rating for the axle.

What tire size can I use?
Tire size will vary with the year and make of the truck. It is best to call and discuss options with a representative.

Are the fenders factory replacements?
No. Most of our fiberglass fenders start out being molded from the factory fender, but then have to be modified to fit the regular pick up box. They look similar, but will not work to replace damaged factory dually fenders.

Are these parts guaranteed?
Yes. All parts that we manufacture or carry have a 1 year warranty from the date of purchase.

For more information, please call 248-280-0210

Still not going to get you around the DOT sticker on your door though, neither will an actual full blown dual conversion. And the cost even using used parts would kill ya. And as stated above the added weight would reduce or use up part of payload weight as well as your GCWR. The dually option is only around 1200.00. Trade in your current truck on a new dually, it would be thousands of dollars less than doing an actual conversion on your current truck.

No matter what you actually do to your current truck you will still be limited by the weight capacity sticker on it.

Last edited:

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
to be fair out of all the swaps people post on here looking to do, converting to a dually is probably the easiest and most feasible one. everything bolts on. it just serves no purpose aside from looks.

john55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
..and I want to convert my 5 speed auto. to an 8 speed, anything can be done, swapping, rebuilding, modifying....in the end though, is it really worth it? ....or should you trade it?

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Might add a little stability but for no added weight rating, is not worth the $

OP
OP
B

biggdadd58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
dually axle is 4" wider i believe. everything else should bolt in. or keep your stock axle and buy dually adapters.

with that said, converting your srw to a drw wont change your gvw. in fact, your adding more weight effectively doing the opposite of what your looking for.

I realize that it won't change the gvw, that is my point. I want the added stability for towing the trailer. The srw that I have now wants to wander a little on the road.

OP
OP
B

biggdadd58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Im curious how you're going to go about doing this swap?

Also, why wouldnt you just buy a dually to begin with?
The gvw on the 1 ton dually when added to the gvw of the trailer puts it in a CDL class.

OP
OP
B

biggdadd58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
This is like one of those can I make my 2WD trucks 4WD questions. Yes, it can be done but it's cost prohibitive and won't be as good a result as buying one from the factory.

If you need the the extra capacity trade your truck for one with a higher GVW.

I don't need the extra capacity, just wanting the extra stability when towing.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I realize that it won't change the gvw, that is my point. I want the added stability for towing the trailer. The srw that I have now wants to wander a little on the road.

have you tried better tires or are you still on the stock ones?

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
The gvw on the 1 ton dually when added to the gvw of the trailer puts it in a CDL class.

This is not correct.
First off, you cannot legally change the GVWR of a vehicle. Even by converting it to a like model, your GVWR is not equivalent. It will always legally be what ever your door jamb says.

Converting it will in fact help with stability but you will lose part of your payload due to adding weight to your truck (for example, instead of being a 7,500 lb truck with a 2,500 lb payload you now have an 8,000 lb truck with a 2,000 lb payload)

Unless you are using the truck for business you do not need a CDL anyway around it. If your GCWR exceeds 26,001 lbs and your trailer is over 10,000 lbs you will need a class A non CDL license (this does exist)

OP
OP
B

biggdadd58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
This is not correct.
First off, you cannot legally change the GVWR of a vehicle. Even by converting it to a like model, your GVWR is not equivalent. It will always legally be what ever your door jamb says.

Converting it will in fact help with stability but you will lose part of your payload due to adding weight to your truck (for example, instead of being a 7,500 lb truck with a 2,500 lb payload you now have an 8,000 lb truck with a 2,000 lb payload)

Unless you are using the truck for business you do not need a CDL anyway around it. If your GCWR exceeds 26,001 lbs and your trailer is over 10,000 lbs you will need a class A non CDL license (this does exist)
All of this is correct and understood, thanks.

OP
OP
B

biggdadd58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
have you tried better tires or are you still on the stock ones?

I have an older truck srw truck with the better tires now. I purchased an new trailer and I am looking at the tow vehicle now. This thread was about trying to find out if the DRW axle would bolt up to a SRW truck. I am not sure if anyone has answered that yet.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I have an older truck srw truck with the better tires now. I purchased an new trailer and I am looking at the tow vehicle now. This thread was about trying to find out if the DRW axle would bolt up to a SRW truck. I am not sure if anyone has answered that yet.

Yes it will, frame mounting points are the same between the SRW and DRW. the only difference is the axle and box panels.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The frames are the same for 2500's and 3500's, the spring perches are the same. If you find a 11.8 axle out of a newer truck make sure the truck didn't have air ride though.
You have to specify the year of your truck though. The frames should be the same 3500 srw to 3500 drw for years past but you would have to double check the specific year you are going for.