Snow Plow For 2014 Dodge Ram 1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Someone told me this would void my warranty. If so what part of the warranty, PowerTrain?

Someone said everything would work great and my warranty wouldn't be hurt.

Any suggestions, my truck has under 2k miles on it and I wouldn't wanna destroy my power train warranty.

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
doesn't it say in the manual that the 1500 should not be used for snow plough applications?

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Someone was right. can you guess who that someone was?

Someone told me this would void my warranty. If so what part of the warranty, PowerTrain?

Someone said everything would work great and my warranty wouldn't be hurt.

Any suggestions, my truck has under 2k miles on it and I wouldn't wanna destroy my power train warranty.

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Page 591 of the owner's manual states:

"1500 Models Only:
Do not use this model vehicle for snowplow applications"

So I'm gonna go with yes, it would void your warranty.

Caldwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
you can thank electronic steering...

Per my dealer " It can be done with a light duty plow, however you will have to come to the dealer to install, and uninstall the plow. The steering calibrations will have to be adjusted each visit. The springs, and shocks would have to upgraded as well to handle the front end load. That being said it is not worth the effort or money " Videon RAM - Newtown Square PA.

I was let down, but glad my salesman was up front with me. He drives a CTD for the reason lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Page 591 of the owner's manual states:

"1500 Models Only:
Do not use this model vehicle for snowplow applications"

So I'm gonna go with yes, it would void your warranty.

The owners manual states not to use a snow plow. That is correct. There are many reasons not to use a snow plow for this vehicle, 1 being that it could disable the air bags.

But my question is, does it specify what the penalty is if you don't obey their wishes?

What you just said is it would VOID the warranty but does the owners manual state this?

If the owners manual doesn't give you any penalty then there is none. So does it?

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
This really comes back to the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. I would guess unless the dealer can prove the plow caused the part failure your warranty should remain intact.

That being said 1500s are more car than truck. How many cars do you see with snow plows on them?

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The owners manual states not to use a snow plow. That is correct. There are many reasons not to use a snow plow for this vehicle, 1 being that it could disable the air bags.

But my question is, does it specify what the penalty is if you don't obey their wishes?

What you just said is it would VOID the warranty but does the owners manual state this?

If the owners manual doesn't give you any penalty then there is none. So does it?
If you end up with a blown motor or transmission, damaged differential, steering box, etc., and it's found out that you used a snow plow, they will claim that the plow caused excess wear to the drivetrain. The fact that it is specifically stated not to use the 1500 as a plow should be a warning that using it as one can void the warranty.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes it will void your warrantee. Yes, a lot of people do it anyway all the time without problems. Its your truck, and up to you.

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
If you end up with a blown motor or transmission, damaged differential, steering box, etc., and it's found out that you used a snow plow, they will claim that the plow caused excess wear to the drivetrain. The fact that it is specifically stated not to use the 1500 as a plow should be a warning that using it as one can void the warranty.

^^

Kinda like when they say "Don't try this at home" before pro-wrestling. They won't say CUZ YOU GON' BREAK YO DAMN NECK IF YOU DO. It's a disclaimer, and they're washing the responsibility off their hands.

Same thing with Ram telling you not to use the 1500 as a snowplough. They won't repair your destroyed truck under warranty.

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am pretty sure that even with the 2011 and up F-150 you are not to use a snowplow on them. This is more an issue with the EPS and how it works with the load in the front. I imagine it is more likely to fail and possibly cause an accident.

OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Weird. U say my 5.7 liter engine and transmission warranty would be void if I use a snow plow on the vehicle? Because I have a 1500 series.

Ok well a 5.7 liter engine and transmission on a 2500 series is the exact same but a snow plow won't cause excessive wear and tear on that and my warranty would be fine?

It seems like the law(Acts) are being violated if this is true so I doubt it is true.

Whats the difference in the engine and powertrain from a 1500 and 2500 since u say it will void the powertrain warranty?

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Transmission is not the same. Not sure what more warning of potentially voided warranty you want other than what the owners manual says.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Engine? how is the engine going to have different strain which would Void the warranty? I believe I will speak to the dealer because people hear are just talking about what they believe is true without facts.

@GreenClassic the owners manual doesn't state what warrenty if any will be dismissed. I can see you are not a lawyer, judge or in this class.

For example wrestiling says not to try this at home. But it doesn't state what will happen if you do. If u want to go and buy tickets they can't say "well we saw that video of you doing are moves so your not allowed to buy our tickets"... They would get sued for that.

If the transmission is different then its possible they can void the engine warranty only if they first prove the transmission caused the problem and again only if the warranty of the transmission was void from the plow if the transmission had broke before the engine. And then only if the transmission of the 2 models are different. Which I doubt as well for all 2500 series.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Engine? how is the engine going to have different strain which would Void the warranty? I believe I will speak to the dealer because people hear are just talking about what they believe is true without facts.

@GreenClassic the owners manual doesn't state what warrenty if any will be dismissed. I can see you are not a lawyer, judge or in this class.

For example wrestiling says not to try this at home. But it doesn't state what will happen if you do. If u want to go and buy tickets they can't say "well we saw that video of you doing are moves so your not allowed to buy our tickets"... They would get sued for that.

If the transmission is different then its possible they can void the engine warranty only if they first prove the transmission caused the problem and again only if the warranty of the transmission was void from the plow if the transmission had broke before the engine. And then only if the transmission of the 2 models are different. Which I doubt as well for all 2500 series.

It has nothing to do with the engine, it's all about the truck, frame steering components, axles transmission wasent designed to take the load of a plow and all the weight of the snow you are pushing. Look at the 2500 it has the 5.7 with lower power rating but yet it still can tow 4000lbs more than the 1/2. There are more factors than power. If the owners manual says don't do it and you do and something breaks they don't have to warranty it just as if you tear up your transmission towing 15000lbs.

shaftman_05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This thread is hilarious...
guy understands points...
then argues against them. Wow...

Its your truck, but I would *** up that warranty and kiss it good bye. There is every factor involved. Half ton is meant to be a daily driver. More car than truck. All show less go. What more do you need? FCA (fiat/chrysler) are not gonna put in detail what it voids and doesn't in the manual or anywhere. But bet your sweet a$$ they will blame any issue you attempt to warranty on that plow and not cover it.

Steering isnt strong enough-electronic.

Suspension can't handle the load up front.

Differentials not beefy enough for constant strain and slamming.

Air bags not calibrated for plows. BIGGEST FACTOR!!! SAFETY

Auto transfer case (if equipped) can not take strain.

Frame not designed for the load.

Trans cooler not designed for load (heat) of constant forward/reverse.

What more do you honestly need???

Go ahead. Argue. Ruin your truck. I could care less. But dont start complaining when warranty isnt covered, truck breaks, or your injured.

Last edited:

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
and good luck fighting their lawyers when they dont fix it

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
This thread is hilarious...
guy understands points...
then argues against them. Wow...

Its your truck, but I would *** up that warranty and kiss it good bye. There is every factor involved. Half ton is meant to be a daily driver. More car than truck. All show less go. What more do you need? FCA (fiat/chrysler) are not gonna put in detail what it voids and doesn't in the manual or anywhere. But bet your sweet a$$ they will blame any issue you attempt to warranty on that plow and not cover it.

Steering isnt strong enough-electronic.

Suspension can't handle the load up front.

Differentials not beefy enough for constant strain and slamming.

Air bags not calibrated for plows. BIGGEST FACTOR!!! SAFETY

Auto transfer case (if equipped) can not take strain.

Frame not designed for the load.

Trans cooler not designed for load (heat) of constant forward/reverse.

What more do you honestly need???

Go ahead. Argue. Ruin your truck. I could care less. But dont start complaining when warranty isnt covered, truck breaks, or your injured.
You forgot altenator. That, in the F150 line, is the EXACT reason anything with EPAS could not have the plow prep package. The draw from the electronics for the plow was too much when combined with EPAS. This is why the 6.2L F150 could have the plow prep package and not the 3.7, 3.5, and 5.0. The 6.2L still relied on mechanical power steering.

I swore I wasn't going to comment on this, but I gave in. I called Ford direct on that for the answer since my service rep was beating around the bush.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

shaftman_05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You forgot altenator. That, in the F150 line, is the EXACT reason anything with EPAS could not have the plow prep package. The draw from the electronics for the plow was too much when combined with EPAS. This is why the 6.2L F150 could have the plow prep package and not the 3.7, 3.5, and 5.0. The 6.2L still relied on mechanical power steering.

I swore I wasn't going to comment on this, but I gave in. I called Ford direct on that for the answer since my service rep was beating around the bush.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
I did leave that out. Dual batteries would be a plus as well. To much load on a single with all these electronics.