So turned off by Ram dealers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yamaha1973

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
By the time I'm actually ready to buy, I've researched the product enough to know more about it than the Salesman does,,,
I prefer to be left alone on the lot, not followed around. Simply give me your card and I'll call ya if I need ya.

YES

I don't need my hand held when looking for a vehicle. If I have a question I'll ask. I also hate when I go to a dealer and they have surveys/questionnaire to fill out before you do anything... I like dealing with my small town dealer, no hoops to jump through!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Oh, on every personal purchase deal they've changed the price and it's always gone down. :)

The smart ones always ask up front if you are buying or leasing, especially if they have some lease options they are pushing. If so, it will be terms offered at a preferred financial firm who may or may not be part of the overall corporation. Chrysler almost had to divest their financial house during the economic downturn and I believe sold off all or part of theirs. Part of what attracted Fiat to Chrysler was the fire sale price (government bailout rates) and the fact that Chrysler Financial was intact.

Last edited:

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Screw all the damn emails...just go to the lot prepared and make an offer. When he/she denies the offer, leave
The sales person is supposed to deny, you should never buy, lease, finance on the first trip anyways

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Screw all the damn emails...just go to the lot prepared and make an offer. When he/she denies the offer, leave
The sales person is supposed to deny, you should never buy, lease, finance on the first trip anyways

^^^ This is how I operate, I don't do phone calls and emails! I know what I want, I find the dealer who has it. I walk in with a positive attitude and a friendly approach, make a couple friends and I always get the deal I am after.
But I usually take a day or two breather between negotiations so I don't get caught up in the moment and I have time to check the math and make sure it's all good. :favorites13:

Last edited:

Desert Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V-6
After spending thirty years in retail auto sales, New, Used & Abused
and buying a New Ram last December I noticed that there are more
' Order Takers ' then salespeople, and quite a few don't know their product.

And talking to a few service guy's it still seems that the people
with the biggest issues are the lowest grossing deals...no surprise.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
lol

sux to hear, for me up in norcal

i had a set price in mind, i called up a few dealers within 1 hour from me, alot of them were shocked at the price i was asking, but knew they would still make $.

I had ALOT of dealers @ +$500, and 2 came down to the price i wanted to take it for. I got my truck used 14 qc 4x4 hemi bighorn $6500 off the used car sticker price.

all this without even stepping 1 foot into their dealership

i was ready to buy brand new 15 qc 4x4 26c express for 33k OTD, found a 14 higher trimpackage bighorn for thousands less - even though window sticker was higher then my OTD price of a brand new 15.

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
WOW!!! Sounds like I've been really lucky. When I purchased my Ram in Mar of 14, didn't really have any intention of buying let alone new. First new vehicle since 1972. El Camino. Wound up trading my o2 Dakota and getting over book, and got some very good incentives on a 14 1500 Express. After leaving the dealer with my new truck, decided to stop by a camper dealer just to look. Found a 5'er about 32' and about 10k for weight. As my son pulls a 36' trailer behind his 13, 1500, really didn't think much about the size of the truck. After talking to the salesman, he asked what I would pull it with. I told him what I just purchased. He then said he doubted that it would pull something that heavy and large. So, the next morning, I decided to go back to Ram and see what options could be installed that would allow me to pull something of that size. They researched and said they had nothing. When I told them the story, the manager or owner came out and just said, "find him a 2500 that will pull the trailer. Found what I believed to be what was needed and they re did the loan papers and drive off the lot with a 2500. No muss/ no fuss. Then, about 2 weeks later, was called by the dealer to come in and re do the loan papers??? When I got there, found out that Chrysler Capital had knocked 2% off my loan rate. ( didn't have the best credit). Like I said, feel very lucky and have a dealer that has helped me in every way to include a gear change. I've absolutely no complaints.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I know there was a few dealers I walked the lot, and no one got off there lazy ass and came out to see if I did need any help. I went into one to get a brochure and a salesman asked if I need any help. I said no that's ok you sat here on your ass and watched me and the wife look at trucks for the last 30 min. I'll send the owner a pic of the truck I bought some where else. I Don't know if it is a ram issue or any dealer.

Like a few others on here if they come out and bug me I will leave. I want to walk around and compare different vehicles and such, I don't want a salesman following me around like a lost puppy. When I am ready to get a price I will actually go into the building.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Like a few others on here if they come out and bug me I will leave. I want to walk around and compare different vehicles and such, I don't want a salesman following me around like a lost puppy. When I am ready to get a price I will actually go into the building.

No I don't want to be followed. I want to be acknowledge , not ignored. There's a big difference in the 2. If I owned the dealership I wouldn't want people driving off after they been on my lot for over 30 min, without them at least getting a business card. WTF . Most of them are order takers but I'm the one looking to spend close to 40k. Why should I have to go find then to get some damn keys to truck. The kid that got my commission is the one that got off his ass and got me some keys.

jdwaynes1980

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
By the time I'm actually ready to buy, I've researched the product enough to know more about it than the Salesman does,,,
I prefer to be left alone on the lot, not followed around. Simply give me your card and I'll call ya if I need ya.

I feel the same way. I have been researching RAMs for about 8 months now before making the decision to purchase one. I even went to the dealership on a Sunday when they were closed a couple days before I bought my RAM and got under the truck I ended up buying so that I could spend as much time looking at everything in detail without being bothered.

A couple days later when I decided to buy the RAM, I contacted their internet sales manager, and drove it home the next day. Spent more time signing papers than I did talking to anyone.

Kidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, eTorque
I know there was a few dealers I walked the lot, and no one got off there lazy ass and came out to see if I did need any help. I went into one to get a brochure and a salesman asked if I need any help. I said no that's ok you sat here on your ass and watched me and the wife look at trucks for the last 30 min. I'll send the owner a pic of the truck I bought some where else. I Don't know if it is a ram issue or any dealer.

That's funny, I actually prefer to be left alone until I seek someone out. I hate the salesmen running out to bug me. I know it's their job but I will let them know when I'm ready.

I guess I'm lucky. I have a salesmen that I've been working with since I bought my first Ram. We bought a Chrysler 300S from the same dealer, same salesperson (a lady) and we negotiated the entire deal for the 300 via email. It was great.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
So I have been looking at my first Ram 1500, my first Chrysler products ever. I normally contact 3 or 4 dealers via email and ask for quotes and when we get close to a number I like, I will go visit the dealership for final negotiations.

Not so with Ram. 3 of the 4 dealers refused to send me a quote via email. The fourth did and had a pretty good sale price. Then I mentioned that I would lease the vehicle and he said that in that case the price would go up $3,000. WTF??

Has anyone else had such experiences? Needless to say I stopped negotiating and am now considering getting a Chevy Colorado instead. I have probably leased/bought around 30-40 vehicles in my lifetime (own a company), but I have never come across such behavior? I am really turned off at the moment by Ram dealers.

Any thoughts? I am in the SoCal area.

I'm in SoCal too and this is why I bought my truck through Dennis Dillon out of Caldwell, ID, up near Boise. No dealers, and I contacted the larger ones from Bakersfield south and either got no responses or their prices were not even close to what I am paying for my truck. The closest was about $4K higher than Dennis Dillon. If you want more info about them just PM me.

SouthShoreRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
OP, if you want a price you have to go in and be ready to buy. any price you get via email or phone is crap any ways.

think about it, do you call the supermarket for a price on eggs before you go there?

know what you want, what you want to pay for it and go in person to make it happen.

OP
OP
S

sgdgolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP, if you want a price you have to go in and be ready to buy. any price you get via email or phone is crap any ways.

think about it, do you call the supermarket for a price on eggs before you go there?

know what you want, what you want to pay for it and go in person to make it happen.

I am not sure that I agree with this approach getting you the best price. This is why most larger dealers have an Internet Manager now. These guys handle requests via email and thru their web site and normally do not work on commission. Their purpose usually is to move large numbers of cars. This is why many of them are Internet/Fleet Manager in one person.
In my experience they are easier to deal with and give you better prices than the sales guys on the dealer floor.

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What I've done in the past is call up several dealers and asked for a quote on a specific model/trim package. I let them know up front that I'm looking to buy on "x- date". I also let them know that I am calling other dealers to see where I can get the best deal and service for my future truck. Once I have a few quotes, I call them back and ask if they will beat my lowest quote. I play the dealers against each other until I have a rock bottom quote. I discard dealerships that I feel don't really want to make a sale or aren't willing to beat the lowest quote. I then make an appointment with the dealer I have chosen and go from there. Now once you are in they don't want you to walk out. Don't forget I still had a few other dealerships already lined up with what I was willing to pay based on their quote. It's worked real well for me in the past.

Now this was before all the internet rock bottom prices that are advertised by some dealerships. The truck I have now was about 11k under sticker (with discounts that I qualified for), and that was the "internet price". I really couldn't find a better deal, I tried. Some dealers are using this no haggle, no hidden cost approach and it works very well.

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
I'm 57 and I believe with no more miles than what I drive a year that my 2014 Ram is the last time I will ever have to deal with PITA dealerships.
I can say that this truck purchase was the worst I have ever had to endure, the dealerships either took one look at you and decided that since your aren't dressed like doctor you aren't worth the time or they where total scammers (price they listed you had to be a veteran and own a Case tractor) and then they still scammed you and tacked on extra warranties they never even discussed with you. When you then catch them doing they are total buttholes to get your money back.
I will NEVER EVER buy another new vehicle from a STEALERSHIP.

Quigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I didn't buy my truck new but when shopping around I had some very different experiences. I found that your smaller family owned dealerships were much more willing to take the time with you and work with you. I went to a few of the large super dealers and if you weren't willing to pay their price right now no negotiation they didn't have the time of day for you.

I drove two hours from central Pa to southern NY to Simmons Rockwell to looks at trucks. My parents had bought a few cars there and got good deals. I called the day before and they said they would pull all the used Rams from their three dealerships to one in the morning and would have them all in one place for me to look over. When I got there the trucks they told me were Hemis were 4.7s and instead of bringing all the trucks to one dealership they made me drive my vehicle and hour and a half round trip one way then and hour and a half round trip the other way to look at everything they had. Then when I did try to make a deal the guy I was dealing with kept bringing up his recreational pot smoking to my dad and I who both work in the law enforcement field. Finally after almost 7 hours I left. One the way home I passed a small mom and pop dealer and found exactly what I was looking for at the price I wanted.

Last edited:

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Now this was before all the internet rock bottom prices that are advertised by some dealerships.. Some dealers are using this no haggle, no hidden cost approach and it works very well.

Yes Sir! You know the price before you leave the house! The only 'haggle' is your trade in.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
I'm 57 and I believe with no more miles than what I drive a year that my 2014 Ram is the last time I will ever have to deal with PITA dealerships.
I can say that this truck purchase was the worst I have ever had to endure, the dealerships either took one look at you and decided that since your aren't dressed like doctor you aren't worth the time or they where total scammers (price they listed you had to be a veteran and own a Case tractor) and then they still scammed you and tacked on extra warranties they never even discussed with you. When you then catch them doing they are total buttholes to get your money back.
I will NEVER EVER buy another new vehicle from a STEALERSHIP.

What dealer did you buy from?

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Take a trip up north or contact a few up here... We actually have a few good ones. The one I deal with has been more than fair with me except for not washing my truck with the rearend issue. other than that it was a no haggle hassle purchase, I told them this is what I'd pay they said ok. It may also be cause the GF sister works for them. but still worth a shot.