So what really is an"ultra lite" trailer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was thinking about this. My last trailer was 33' long 6500/650 dry weight. It was a stick and tin trailer.

My new one is 29' long 6000/650 dry weight. It's aluminum and fiberglass.

The old one was just an Aspen Trail.

The new one is a Spirit "Ultra lite".

I'm sure there isn't a standard for the ultra lite title but it got me thinking about marketing and using that description.

What are your thoughts?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
"Ultra Lite" isn't a real trailer spec designation. The manufacturer's tend to tack on descriptive titles to attract buyers. I would guess that many prospective buyers mentally morph "Ultra Lite" into "Easy To Tow".

If yours is an "Ultra Lite", what do you call one that weighs 2500/250? A Micro Lite?

It doesn't have to make sense to work for some folks.

engineering

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
Marketing will literally say anything to get your money :)

I have come to associate 'Ultra-Lite' and similar marketing wankery to mean that the materials are thinner and smaller and everything is generally rather weak - ensuring a fairly short life-span.

I am assuming my 2021 Micro-Minnie will fall apart after 6-7 years.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I bought two new ultra light Jaycos over the years. Poorly made with poor materials. Take note of the 4" frames and interior decor. Hope the other brands are better

engineering

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
I bought two new ultra light Jaycos over the years. Poorly made with poor materials. Take note of the 4" frames and interior decor. Hope the other brands are better

Pretty much the same story on Winnebago. If the owners are very perceptive and mechanically inclined - they may be able to stretch the life, but I have resigned to the fact that my new trailer is essentially disposable like most things in our sad modern world.

Airstream seems to be the only brand with a product that can last decades and have decent resale value. Of course the initial cost is high, but the long term cost of an Airstream is actually lower since it retains value for a very long time.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Getting a bigger trailer designated as a ultra light, feather lite, etc. is possible due to lesser structural materials being used. Does this mean it is lesser quality up front; not necessarily. But it does not bode well for the longevity of fit and finish. They have their purpose. But not if full-timing or frequently camping throughout the year.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
That's how i also understood things gents. "Ultra lites" to me always meant all of the materials were as thin and lite as possible to cut weight. My impression of them is as a result they are not very durable, as stated.

As said, I highly doubt you will see many of them around when they are the same age as my 1989 Skyline Layton. She's old, but built during an era when weight wasn't as much of a concern. When folks went camping to be outdoors and didnt want or need condominiums on wheels with 3 slide outs and such to enjoy it. Lol! Oh well, I digress...just my .02. :waytogo:

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ultra-Light, Feather-Light, etc, are terms used to designate a line of trailers built lighter than others in their specific size class. Such trailers allow lesser tow vehicles to pull larger units. You can have an Ultra-Light trailer in a 20–25-foot class or in a 30–35-foot class. It only means the trailer is lighter than others in that same size class.

You can make trailers lighter without sacrificing durability, such as replacing wood with aluminum and using welds to replace nuts and bolts. There are also lighter but stronger metals now available. These were used in the 5th Gen RAMs. But in addition to using lightweight materials with the same or better durability, some manufacturers may also sacrifice build quality.

That said, few modern trailers are built to last more than 10 years anyway. You can buy an Airstream and perhaps a Lance to last longer than that, but after a decade using them, people are often no longer interested in RVing or want something newer. Resale value on any 10-year-old trailer is going to be dismal, few want them, even a 10-year-old Airstream will not be all that appealing.

If you're into RVing, buy new or slightly used and then sell or trade within no more than 5-6 years to get at least something back on it. After 5-6 years they'll depreciate even faster. Never keep any trailer for 10 years unless you plan to drive it into the ground. In many trailer parks, you have to have any trailer older than 10 years pre-approved just to make a reservation.

Certainly, no one buys a travel trailer as an investment.

engineering

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
Certainly, no one buys a travel trailer as an investment.

I bought mine as an investment in MYSELF, certainly not the ultra-rapidly depreciating box on wheels :)

The benefits of getting away for the time I have this thing are worth more than gold. The trailer, on the other hand will be worth dirt.

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought mine as an investment in MYSELF, certainly not the ultra-rapidly depreciating box on wheels :)

The benefits of getting away for the time I have this thing are worth more than gold. The trailer, on the other hand will be worth dirt.
Yes, absolutely, that is why you buy a trailer.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Like others said, an ultra light is taking out as many supports, braces, etc as you possibly can and still having it keep its shape. I wouldn't buy an ultralight, because I know how poorly made a regular camper is. Instead of wall studs (and I use that term lightly in a RV) every 16", it might be every 48". Instead of 2x2 construction, it might be 1x2 construction. Thinner plywood cabinets. Lighter foam padding in couch/dinette. Less bracing in the beds. Smaller tanks. Whatever they can do to shed weight, they will do.

My first camper was a Northwoods Nash. 22' long and no slides... weighed 7500 lbs. It was SOLID. Cabinets were robust, walls were well constructed. Door shut solid. Nothing creaked or bowed. It was 15 years old when we outgrew it, still in fantastic shape.

Newer campers aren't built that way anymore. Ultra light trailers are even more cheaply thrown together. I'd rather have a smaller trailer in traditional construction than a larger lightweight.

FYI, water is the enemy of any RV. Keep it under cover, it'll last a lot longer. I paid $2400 for a 32' Carolina Carport in my backyard. My trailer is out of the elements 300+ days a year.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Like others said, an ultra light is taking out as many supports, braces, etc as you possibly can and still having it keep its shape. I wouldn't buy an ultralight, because I know how poorly made a regular camper is. Instead of wall studs (and I use that term lightly in a RV) every 16", it might be every 48". Instead of 2x2 construction, it might be 1x2 construction. Thinner plywood cabinets. Lighter foam padding in couch/dinette. Less bracing in the beds. Smaller tanks. Whatever they can do to shed weight, they will do.

My first camper was a Northwoods Nash. 22' long and no slides... weighed 7500 lbs. It was SOLID. Cabinets were robust, walls were well constructed. Door shut solid. Nothing creaked or bowed. It was 15 years old when we outgrew it, still in fantastic shape.

Newer campers aren't built that way anymore. Ultra light trailers are even more cheaply thrown together. I'd rather have a smaller trailer in traditional construction than a larger lightweight.

FYI, water is the enemy of any RV. Keep it under cover, it'll last a lot longer. I paid $2400 for a 32' Carolina Carport in my backyard. My trailer is out of the elements 300+ days a year.
Best to have some type of rigid structure to keep them in shape longer.

And the biggest thing people can do is get up on the roof (also windows) and pull old worn caulk and reseal all panel joints, window seams, a/c and vent pipe openings. This must be done at least every year. I know much of my family doesn't, then get grumpy when they have a leak.

engineering

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L

The downside of a robust trailer is generally weight - which requires a bigger truck and all the expenses that go along with a bigger truck. It is possible to build a very strong and lightweight trailer - but it would be very expensive to do it.

So many factors......I just went with the 'disposable' trailer and that allows me to keep my existing V6 1500 that works great as a city driven utility vehicle.

Toddbigboytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was thinking about this. My last trailer was 33' long 6500/650 dry weight. It was a stick and tin trailer.

My new one is 29' long 6000/650 dry weight. It's aluminum and fiberglass.

The old one was just an Aspen Trail.

The new one is a Spirit "Ultra lite".

I'm sure there isn't a standard for the ultra lite title but it got me thinking about marketing and using that description.

What are your thoughts?
Please don’t don’t listen to the haters. I would have to say a 33 ft . weighing That we all . Knowing That the-tow police want all of us to have a 2500 I think it is great

A for the people call it a sales gimmick I am sure that a wise consumer knows that.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It is amazing how cheaply built some of these are for as expensive as they are (to me).

A few years ago my inlaws bought a new Jayco Jayflight 21ft TT. I think they paid like $18-19K+ for the thing w/ some stupid warranties they never used. They had me install some small TV mounts in it. Even using the 'designated areas' for mounting such items I was nervous and used as short of screws I could get away with.

Due to the inlaws health issues, they didn't use the camper even one time. It was never 'un-winterized' from the dealership. I had to sell it for them after it sat for 2yrs. They got around $12K for it.

At this point in my life, dragging something like that around has zero appeal to me. It's hard enough being on the road w/out trailering something.

Toddbigboytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It is amazing how cheaply built some of these are for as expensive as they are (to me).

A few years ago my inlaws bought a new Jayco Jayflight 21ft TT. I think they paid like $18-19K+ for the thing w/ some stupid warranties they never used. They had me install some small TV mounts in it. Even using the 'designated areas' for mounting such items I was nervous and used as short of screws I could get away with.

Due to the inlaws health issues, they didn't use the camper even one time. It was never 'un-winterized' from the dealership. I had to sell it for them after it sat for 2yrs. They got around $12K for it.

At this point in my life, dragging something like that around has zero appeal to me. It's hard enough being on the road w/out trailering something.
You sold that dirt cheap. I had a Kz express escape hybrid bought it one year used 24 000$. Used it hard drove. Across Canada and to Florida twice. I did put on new tires and yearly inspection of gas and brakes etc. and sold it for 2200$ 4 years latter

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
You sold that dirt cheap. I had a Kz express escape hybrid bought it one year used 24 000$. Used it hard drove. Across Canada and to Florida twice. I did put on new tires and yearly inspection of gas and brakes etc. and sold it for 2200$ 4 years latter

But those are Canadian dollars right?

Dealers in the area would happily take it in on consignment and only give us $10K tops.

I had it listed for a month or two and had to keep lowering the price. Mice were starting to get into it, etc. This was the setup. FIL also insisted on buying that 2017 Frontier to tow it.

u2JEGIzl.jpg

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an 8 year old ultra light and it's actually still in good shape. There are some issues but overall still a solid trailer. It has sat outside most of its life too based on the amount of dirt and stuff growing on the roof when I bought it. Cabinets are pretty solid as well. I expect it's good for a few more years. It is also actually pretty light for its size

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
Please don’t don’t listen to the haters. I would have to say a 33 ft . weighing That we all . Knowing That the-tow police want all of us to have a 2500 I think it is great

A for the people call it a sales gimmick I am sure that a wise consumer knows that.

Wise consumer?!? Many folks buying tow vehicles and RVs lately have little experience towing. Or they believe a 8000 bass boat tows the same as an 8000 box trailer.

Toddbigboytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wise consumer?!? Many folks buying tow vehicles and RVs lately have little experience towing. Or they believe a 8000 bass boat tows the same as an 8000 box trailer.
I agree a lot of people don’t know how to tow I find people that tow boats can be some of the worst most don’t know the weight of the boat trailer and fuel as well the wheels and bearing are submerged as well as the brakes that is if the trailer has brakes