Someone good with diagnostics, your help is needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DizzyFranco

DizzyFranco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
YEP yep! Quick update, she's running beautifully. Everything seems perfect with the transmission. Just one little tiny issue, see when I was panicking trying to figure out why it wouldn't shift with the wrong solenoid, i messed with the end of the shifter cable. The plastic part at the end that connects to the shifter on the transmission. I disconnected it and took the lock off of the plastic sleeve so it moved freely and the spring inside was fully released. Well putting it back together was s little tricky and i must've not put it on perfectly. My shifter cable is either slightly long or slightly short. Maybe someone can help me figure out which it is. Short or long. Because when I shift down to D, sometimes it's stays stuck on N for a second before going to D. I have to apply downward pressure on my shift lever so that it fully engages Drive. Not everytime; anyway... i cant rationalize right now... do I need to elongate it or shorten it.

Thanks guys!

Up next I need to take my rotors out to get resurfaced.

Any pointers on that?

OH and Heres a pic of my trans fluid level. Is that where it's supposed to be?

Attachments

• 20231228_185208.jpg
    20231228_185208.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 7

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
YEP yep! Quick update, she's running beautifully. Everything seems perfect with the transmission. Just one little tiny issue, see when I was panicking trying to figure out why it wouldn't shift with the wrong solenoid, i messed with the end of the shifter cable. The plastic part at the end that connects to the shifter on the transmission. I disconnected it and took the lock off of the plastic sleeve so it moved freely and the spring inside was fully released. Well putting it back together was s little tricky and i must've not put it on perfectly. My shifter cable is either slightly long or slightly short. Maybe someone can help me figure out which it is. Short or long. Because when I shift down to D, sometimes it's stays stuck on N for a second before going to D. I have to apply downward pressure on my shift lever so that it fully engages Drive. Not everytime; anyway... i cant rationalize right now... do I need to elongate it or shorten it.

Thanks guys!

Any pointers on that?

So, thanks for the update on your repair. Always nice to see how something is resolved even though I wasn't involved in the thread I was reading along.

I just wanted to address the thought of turning or re-surfacing your rotors. Lately I have noticed that I could purchase new rotors for not much more than the cost of re-surfacing. When you factor the time on the machine and taking the rotors even closer to minimum thickness, well...
Let me put it this way, I have not had rotors turned for over 40 years.
YMMV, so all I'm suggesting is research first, then make your best, informed, decision.

Good luck and Happy New Year!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Thanks guys!

Any pointers on that?

If you go down there and starting messing with the linkage, make sure you fix the weakness in this video, 5 minute 25 mark you will see the dohicky. So all you really need is for that pin to be cotter or hitch pin. Just make sure you put it in the right way and bend out the prong, fixed for life. Even if you dont fix it now, at least you know about this weakness in case you cant move the shifter. Especially times like this when something aint right, you can put more stress on the dohicky as you can see.

Pretty sure corey aka hemi 395 found this, he is where I get most of my info - mr dyi over here.

acoffeefiend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Not an expert, but since you have a lotnof transmission codes, how many miles and when is the last time you changed tranny fluid and filter?

acoffeefiend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I would replace them versus turning, that 9times out of ten they take too much material off and they warp and listen to Burla@ Wild one they've been down the road.
Agree with this. You can find a place to turn them, but if they have any weak points from getting hot, you can't get rid of those. Don't cheap out on things like this. Sounds like a good time to upgrade from stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357