Sound upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
I may just go on flea bay and grab another head unit......and plug an play. But this voice in my head says go and get a good head unit and crutchfield a plug an play.......or have a shop do it all I already did a complete speaker swap....matching watts.........trouble is I listen too am mostly and blowing that much cash seems like a waste.....not to mention the bezel headaches with a new radio.....any thoughts which direction I should take?

The am radio **** the bed , btw.

OP
OP
rocket

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
I went an ordered a radio bezel kit, I have a few options for a head unit......might go to a supply warehouse, or a flea market in state......either way I'll be hooked up for less than a hunnert bucks......usually clarion or kenwood single din ......once I hook up the wiring harness to the unit (with bt) , will the bt still work thru the mirror??

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
OP
OP
rocket

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
I'm rewiring, and omitting the amp.........less headaches and way cheaper. Thanks for the link , It should help others as well.

HemiSLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7, Ecodiesel
How are you going to wire around the amp? The Bluetooth will no longer work through the mirror with an aftermarket head unit. It will have it's own mic that you will have to install.

OP
OP
rocket

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
I got an aftermarket interface on fleabay....made for the 06 ram. So My plan is to wire the bluetooth from the replacement radio thru the interface, what I meant by rewire was using another interface, sorry my bad.

Crescent1101

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L ECODIESEL
What if I have the basic sound system with no amp? Do I still need an adapter?

OP
OP
rocket

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
hmmmm good question, the adapter I'm using is plug an play to the speakers and amp...it is the same rectangled plastic grommet, (for lack of a better term), that the oem radio uses....only difference is the back side gets wired to the replacement deck, (radio).
I may have a pro installer look at it, see if he has done one before, ('o6 ram), and ask what the results were. ...My biggest concerns are the steering wheel switches and bluetooth in the rearview mirror switches, and what if I end up losing them.

natedog74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What if I have the basic sound system with no amp? Do I still need an adapter?

I will be doing an install next week, just placed the order, but from what I read, without the PAC module you will not be able to retain door chimes and certain other functions. I got it for $58 on Amazon so I figured it was worth it to do it right.

As for the benzel headaches, I am going to sand and paint the adapter silver to match, it will look better than the black abs plastic imo.