Spare tire winch question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Don't like the temporary spare because I'm going to be towing a travel trailer soon.
So I got some new (other than SRA) tires today.
3 weeks ago I got a brand new SRA under the road hazard warrantee. So I scored a 20 inch chrome rim and had that SRA mounted to be my spare. Almost the same chrome clad that's on my truck.
I ground down the holder piece on the winch line so it would pass thru the small diameter where the hub cap goes.
Right now the tire is stem up, (outside of the tire up).
However the winch seems to be bottomed out and I still need to raise the tire about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch to get it tight to the frame.
I actually rounded out the female piece that goes into the male crank piece of the winch.

Am I bottomed out? Is there some other issue?
Or do I need to mount the tire the the way because of the offset?

Help!

Thanks in advance

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have a full sized spare under mine, you need to mount the outside facing down for the winch to work properly.

-K

OP
OP
JayLeonard

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I have a full sized spare under mine, you need to mount the outside facing down for the winch to work properly.

-K

Yes, I figured that out at 3 am while I was watching the lightening show in the Gulf. The upper tube is bottomed out.
Thanks

OP
OP
JayLeonard

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Thanks but I flipped the wheel and it's nice and secure now.
Used a piece of pipe insulation to prevent the chrome from getting destroyed.