Sparking noise at idle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fezzbtw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Truck. Spark noise Noticed a sparking/ arching noise at idle. It will subside after given some throttle. Starts about 20 seconds after start and then about 15 seconds after given throttle back down to idle. Sounds like it’s coming from passenger side, front aspect of engine. Cannot pin point for the life of me. Truck seems to run fine no loss of power or gas mileage that I can tell. Can’t really find any info regarding it online. 5.7 L Hemi

OP
OP
F

fezzbtw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
How certain are you it’s not injectors ticking or an exhaust leak?
it doesnt increase frequency when given throttle. First thought it was a valve was click but always replace oil on time and keep this thing clean. Wouldn’t fuel injectors coincide with engine RPM?

OP
OP
F

fezzbtw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Spark coincides with engine rpm too.

If you don’t have a mechanics stethoscope you can try a section of hose as a makeshift tool to zero in on the precise location of a noise.
The sparking noise I’m hearing does not coincide with engine RPM from what I can tell. Once given throttle it will make the noise at the same frequency regardless of engine RPM. once at ~5k RPM it will stop until idling for another 10 seconds.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Just curious, your profile states your Ram year is 1500. Now I'm assuming it's slightly newer than that. What year is your rig?

OP
OP
F

fezzbtw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Truck. Spark noise Noticed a sparking/ arching noise at idle. It will subside after given some throttle. Starts about 20 seconds after start and then about 15 seconds after given throttle back down to idle. Sounds like it’s coming from passenger side, front aspect of engine. Cannot pin point for the life of me. Truck seems to run fine no loss of power or gas mileage that I can tell. Can’t really find any info regarding it online. 5.7 L Hemi
The noise doesn’t begin until about 40-45 seconds into the video. It’s very obvious when it begins. Sorry the video is so long.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have injector tick, try some Redline Sl-1 complete fuel system cleaner, and I do hear what sounds like a spark tick, pull the coil for each cylinder and look for a cracked boot, or a crack in the coil you won't be able to see it in the dark because it's enclosed in a metal tube going through the valve cover.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As you've already figured, that's not a rpm related item so it's not your spark plugs or injectors. You can easily tell that it's too fast for idle as well.

Does SOUND like spark, but also like a solenoid. Evap system component? Weird, I guess just keep touching and listening to things.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That is what it sounds like to me injector tick, you can try redline si-1 for sure, that would be the best additive to clean it. If that doesnt get it might just replace all the injectors on that rail. What are you gas brand habits? Use shell or chevron religiously? or cheapest gas you can find? You can pull the plugs on all of that side as well, if it is injector tick you may see wet plugs. How is fuel economy?

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fezzbtw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That is what it sounds like to me injector tick, you can try redline si-1 for sure, that would be the best additive to clean it. If that doesnt get it might just replace all the injectors on that rail. What are you can brand habits? Use shell or chevron religiously? or cheapest gas you can find? You can pull the plugs on all of that side as well, if it is injector tick you may see wet plugs. How is fuel economy?
Fuel economy is where i where I would expect. I drive 20 minutes to work on flat. State road with cruise at 70. 18MPG. The specific sound I’m referring to is the sparking noise heard right before I point it out in the video.

OP
OP
F

fezzbtw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If you increase RPM does it go away as soon as it comes off idle?

To me it doesn’t sound like injector, exhaust or spark. Wrong repetition rate.

More like an actuator or solenoid gone bonkers.
Have to get it to about 4-5k Rpm then it will stop until idle again for 15 seconds or so. Can’t hear it in the cab at all. Just when you’re right at the front of the truck.