Speed turtle light control?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KSH

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 1500
Engine
EcoDiesel
Looking for an easy way to use the lights on the truck in construction environments for visibility but want to leave the stock look without a bunch of LED lights. Any opinions on speed turtle, anything similar i should look at?

OP
OP
K

KSH

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 1500
Engine
EcoDiesel
Looked interesting, but i have a 2018 and it says i need to install something behind the radio, which i rather not do. Its seems to do many more things than I need. Just want lights to flash for visibility.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Looked interesting, but i have a 2018 and it says i need to install something behind the radio, which i rather not do. Its seems to do many more things than I need. Just want lights to flash for visibility.

2018+ Ram has "secured" the brains of our trucks to prevent un-authorized changes. No way around it. I can't even get a plain ODB Reader to work.

OP
OP
K

KSH

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 1500
Engine
EcoDiesel
I talked to the service manager at my dealer. He said he would install the device that goes behind the radio. Said it wouldn't void my warranty unless it caused a problem and that they would just remove it to diagnose if some future issue arose. Any opinions about letting the dealer install the module behind the radio?

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2018+ Ram has "secured" the brains of our trucks to prevent un-authorized changes. No way around it. I can't even get a plain ODB Reader to work.

You need a bypass cable. They are 50 bucks from a vendor here.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
You need a bypass cable. They are 50 bucks from a vendor here.

My "no way around it" was geared towards KSH's "which I would rather not do" part of the quote in other words you have to get
some kind of bypass and i havent seen one where you just plug something inline.

OP
OP
K

KSH

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 1500
Engine
EcoDiesel
Yeah, i thought the speed turtle didn't need it, but they said for the 2018 model ram i still had to plug something in behind the radio in addition to the obd port.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I talked to the service manager at my dealer. He said he would install the device that goes behind the radio. Said it wouldn't void my warranty unless it caused a problem and that they would just remove it to diagnose if some future issue arose. Any opinions about letting the dealer install the module behind the radio?

I'd say if you've had good luck with the dealer, the cost won't be outlandish and you don't want to monkey with it yourself, then let him have at it. Caveat would be to make sure you get what he said in writing that it won't void warranty.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@KSH i’d recommend you go to the Vendors section here, M2Mods and talk to the Mike’s. They will know exactly what bypass cable you need, they make them...plug and play on some stuff. They are wiring gurus.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does that plug in behind the radio or elsewhere?

Plugs in between the stock obd wiring harness. It looks factory and took literally less than a minute to install. I’m it exaggerating that part. I needed it to use Alfa to code my truck.

OP
OP
K

KSH

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 1500
Engine
EcoDiesel
I'd say if you've had good luck with the dealer, the cost won't be outlandish and you don't want to monkey with it yourself, then let him have at it. Caveat would be to make sure you get what he said in writing that it won't void warranty.
It was via email. So all good there.

OP
OP
K

KSH

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 1500
Engine
EcoDiesel
@KSH i’d recommend you go to the Vendors section here, M2Mods and talk to the Mike’s. They will know exactly what bypass cable you need, they make them...plug and play on some stuff. They are wiring gurus.
Ok thanks, I'll find them.

OP
OP
K

KSH

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 1500
Engine
EcoDiesel
Bypass cable worked great with the speedturtle! Much appreciated.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Which obd2 things like this do the side mirror auto open and close. I seen the one here posted does it, but is the most expensive, do all these type do that? I have a 13 Ram. All I want is to have it retract and open side mirrors, maybe a few light features like a certain pattern when locking doors and maybe the window open option.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Which obd2 things like this do the side mirror auto open and close.
The Taser does the mirrors folding in, you need to leave the dongle plugged in though.
SpeedTurtle just does the light show.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
I hate anything always on, due to possibility of battery drain. I did see something cool, a obd2 adaptor with a extension, a switch and plug. So I could get one and mount the switch to turn it on and off. Could something like this be plugged in the same time as a tuner? Was thinking of mounting my tuner screen on the dash area to have various gauges.