Squeaking/Rubbing Noise/Cupping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RebelRam01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
A few months ago, my steering started feeling loose (as most 2nd gens do) and the tires showed signs of diagonal cupping. Took it to the shop and was told to replace wheel hub and upper/lower ball joints and rotated tires. Did that and took it back, had it inspected and aligned all was good.
Later on, we installed a 3" and 1" front and back to level/lift the truck.
The shop we have learned is not reliable, as they were supposed to replace my U-Joints and never replaced them at all. You could tell by the amount of red rust.
Now truck is pulling again (or it's just the bad steering and the crown of the road). Cupping is showing again. There is a rubbing/creaking noise I can hear in the front driver's wheel well and this dreadful squealing and squeaking is going on. It's embarrassing. It pretty much happens all the time and it's really obnoxious when I'm going slow or turning. Truck still drives fine though.
We had to replace brake calipers and did such, putting the new brake pads on tonight and MAYBE that will stop the noise.
Any ideas? Everything I am reading is pointing to control arm bushings or some form of suspension. I'm taking it to the dealership Wednesday because I don't know what to do anymore with it, but I would like to hear some thoughts.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
A quick way to check if it's control arm bushings is liberally soak them in silicone spray lube and treat drive with the windows down.

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
A few months ago, my steering started feeling loose (as most 2nd gens do) and the tires showed signs of diagonal cupping. Took it to the shop and was told to replace wheel hub and upper/lower ball joints and rotated tires. Did that and took it back, had it inspected and aligned all was good.
Later on, we installed a 3" and 1" front and back to level/lift the truck.
The shop we have learned is not reliable, as they were supposed to replace my U-Joints and never replaced them at all. You could tell by the amount of red rust.
Now truck is pulling again (or it's just the bad steering and the crown of the road). Cupping is showing again. There is a rubbing/creaking noise I can hear in the front driver's wheel well and this dreadful squealing and squeaking is going on. It's embarrassing. It pretty much happens all the time and it's really obnoxious when I'm going slow or turning. Truck still drives fine though.
We had to replace brake calipers and did such, putting the new brake pads on tonight and MAYBE that will stop the noise.
Any ideas? Everything I am reading is pointing to control arm bushings or some form of suspension. I'm taking it to the dealership Wednesday because I don't know what to do anymore with it, but I would like to hear some thoughts.

Almost sounds like u joints.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reyzapien88