Starting issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davisgrant1987

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, I replaced the Camshaft sensor 3 weeks ago. Now my truck is not starting. You know the noise before your engine cranks over? Well, that's all I am getting. A friend of mine says that changing the Cam sensor killed my starter. I have no test lights sadly. But my code reader is bringing the camshaft sensor code up again. I am at a loss right now. Need some help please.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Try jumping the starter solenoid with a screw driver if all you are getting is a click when you turn the key. If it turns over, check your ground wires. I had to replace the ground from the engine to the battery and it solved it. If it turns over when you hit the key, replace the sensor first.

OP
OP
D

davisgrant1987

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
At work, it was suggested my timing chain....

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

dropkicknick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
if your cam sensor is failed it wont send a signal to your ECM and prevent the vehicle from starting

also, like what karlsweg said, check your grounds. many sensors are grounded from the threading in the block.

you can test this by doing a continuity check by placing one lead on the block near the sensor and the other on a known good "clean" ground.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you use an OE sensor? Some have reported all kinds of problems with aftermarket cam sensors.

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you use an OE sensor? Some have reported all kinds of problems with aftermarket cam sensors.

This exactly. My wifes Durango had the same issue. I had a Autozone sensor in there and it was not reading it. I threw in a OEM mopar one and the thing fired right up!

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OH! I got mine with 2 hour delivery on Amazon. Was the cheapest I found.