06 Ram 1500 4.7 please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cowboy52989

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok here it is, I have an 06 Ram 1500 and the oil pump went out, causing it to overheat and blow a head gasket. As the truck has over 300k miles on it we opted to go for a rebuild versus a repair. Since then the mad scientist and I tore it apart and we have replaced the pistons, rings, entire timing assembly, reman heads, all new gaskets, opsu, and of course the oil pump. There were many other new parts but I believe this is most relevant ones. The truck started up beautifully and ran for about 10 min before I started to hear a slight tap in the upper end (most likely a lifter) and the oil pressure gague started going haywire. Check engine light came on and says that there is an issue with multiple cylinder misfires, misfires on cyl 2, camshaft position sensor issue and o2 sensors. I expected the o2 sensors as my exhaust was stolen, but the others are eluding me. I have replaced camshaft and crankshaft pos sensors thru the dealer. The timing was all lined up perfectly, we checked it 4 times just to make sure it didn't jump during installation process. I guess my question comes down to this; I ignorantly replaced the camshaft gear with the new one from the timing kit, without checking part for part, and I have read about issues with the 16 vs 32 tooth crankshaft reluctor wheels, and I'm needing to know if there were multiple setups for the 06 4.7L engines that could be causing my issues or would it be something else? Since the truck fired up and ran the mad scientist threw out the old part and now it's lost to the dump, so I cannot compare it after the fact.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What timing kit did you buy going to need that info to determine if ya got the right one lol Also look at your PCM how many plugs does it have 3 or 4? It is also very easy to screw up the timing on the 4.7 by a tooth if you have not done it before.

OP
OP
C

Cowboy52989

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The timing kit we ordered was a cloyes timing kit pulled from the vin, i will have to call and get the part number from the order. and there are 4 pcm plugs leading it to be NGC if I'm correct. Would that issue possibly cause the oil issue as well?

OP
OP
C

Cowboy52989

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here it is. My grandmother went on and ordered the timing kit from Amazon. She entered all the info as correct as she could and checked everything was correct to the best of her ability. We also went and got a camshaft sprocket from the dealership that matches perfectly with the one from this kit

Attachments

• IMG_4170.jpg
    IMG_4170.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 7

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea looks like the right one good chance timing is just off a hair on one of the cams normally will run weird if its off a 1-2 teeth. If you wind up pulling valve covers set it to DTC with the mark on the damper and take a pic of both V8 marks on the cam gears did you do a compression test?

OP
OP
C

Cowboy52989

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update: I got the timing all straightened out and the truck is running now. Timi g ring on right cam didnt seat right on the shaft and caused it to jump. The only issue that we are having with it now is the loss of oil pressure the truck runs as smooth as can be but I keep losing oil pressure when the truck gets to NOT. I have hooked a gague up to it and I am in fact losing oil pressure with a brand new oil pump pressure switch new filter fresh oil and the works. When we tore the engine apart the only thing we didn't replace was the main bearings. So if I'm figuring correctly, and please correct me if I'm wrong, if I lost a bearing it would cause the engine to lose oil pressure at op temp. If there is any idea of what else could cause it please let me know. I have checked oil level and it's spot on. Oil pump is torqued to specs. New filter installed. I'm chasing my tail and don't wanna pull the engine to completely redo the rest of the lower end but I'm thinking it's gonna be a necessary evil. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I am not really sure what you did however if you had the pickup tube off the Oring for the pump could be leaking. Also howcome you would do all that work on a 300k engine and not do the bearings... a spun bearing the engine would knock wore out bearings oil pressure can be lost.

OP
OP
C

Cowboy52989

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First time rebuilding an engine and lack of funds overall is what it comes down to on why I didn't touch the crank, but I'm thinking that's what I'm gonna have to do anyways. I haven't heard a single knock but oil pressure isn't there so I'm gonna get the bearings ordered and track down a cherry picker and stand. We have done all work so far without removing the engine. I'll keep yall updated

OP
OP
C

Cowboy52989

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just got done with the rebuild process and replacing the bearings and I would really like to say thank you to jws123 for all your help along the way so far. As of right now everything seems to be working great. The truck is running better than it ever has. I started out with needing an oil pump and head gasket but, ended up also replacing everything else along the way. If anything else happens this will be the first place I stop for help. Thank you again. God Bless