Steering gearbox question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys. So my gearbox has Ben leaking just a little bit ever since I bought my truck but just recently it's started dripping once I'm stopped and parked. So I'm debating to just change the whole box or reseal it which is obviously cheaper. Lol my question is is it a pain to just throw the new seals in or is it pretty easy to do? Thanks!

johnnyjaws98

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500 ram 4x4
Engine
its not easy to do try lucas stop leak i hear it works your better off replaceing the box then put on a steering gear box stablizer

iSlacker816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 (360ci) Magnum
I wouldn't put any stop leak threw the power steering pump. Just get a new one and a stabilizer from HBS and you'll be good to go.

OP
OP
Hollabakzach23

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ran what was left of a old bottle of fluid that had the stop leak added to it and it didn't do anything for me other than drain it out which is okay with me since it's not in there anymore! Lol it's been easy I have everything disconnected other than the pitman arm because I didn't have a 33mm socket laying around so I will finish that tonight. I also bought a deal kit to see if I can't just try and reseal it and if not then I'll just break down and buy a new box. Has anyone ever tore there's apart and replaced the seals rather than just swapping boxes? And I have seen a lot of people using the stabilizers so it will probably be time to invest in one of those!

OP
OP
Hollabakzach23

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well guys and gals long story short I decided just to replace the whole steering box which was a pretty simple task in itself not too complicated. My next question is since it is part of the steering system do I need to get it aligned? And will that take out some of the play that is still in the wheel. Because it used to pull to the left and the wheel would be cocked to the left when moving straight but now that is all fixed there is just still play in the steering wheel and I don't think I should already mess with the adjustment nut on this brand new box?

OP
OP
Hollabakzach23

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had to adjust the screw on it after I put mine in...

Really?! Alright cool I just wanted to make sure I didn't go messing with the adjuster since I just put it on! I'll go ahead and adjust it when I get off and see about getting an alignment done on it tomorrow or something then