Steering issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mercruth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 liter
I would like to get others opinion on changing the ratio on my 2001 Ram 2500 4x4 Steering. Presently it is 4 turns left to right. I have a little slop in the center position when driving and have replaced the ENTIRE front end sans the steering box. Ball joints, 2009/2010 tie rod conversion all new (works great) CV joints on axles new bearings and brakes and rotors. Still some slop so I want to put in a new Red Head Steering box and frame Stiffener kit. Question is do I keep the 4:1 ratio or switch to 3:1 for better steering response. Truck is factory 4:1 and heavy duty everything (towing pkg, 8800 LB towing, snow plow pkg, camper pkg, 6" factory lift auto 5.9 liter engine) but I don't do a bunch of 4 wheeling or rock climbing or none of that stuff. What are the Pro's and Con's of 4:1 vs 3:1. Anyone really know if this is a good, bad idea?? why?? I really don't know if it is a big deal, just that my steering will be more responsive and less wheel turning. Looking for the experienced opinion here. Thanks for your attention.