Steering Wheel Jerk 2016 RAM 5500 6.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

itsslade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Hey new user here!

So I am currently in the market for a bucket truck and have test drove a 2016 RAM 5500 6.7L.

The current owner has purchased a fleet from the power company as this is their business.
They have replaced the drag link and gearbox to which I was told made the steering wheel jerk about 60% better but not completely.

Was curious as to wether I could get any insights to resolve this matter. It wasn't exactly a subtle jerk in the steering wheel but everything else about this truck is what I call a unicorn.

SIDE NOTE: I have read a bit about the shaking of the engine at shut off, this particular truck shakes more aggressive compared to any I have came across. Suspect motor mounts but if anyone here can be of any help it would be greatly appreciated! Thank You! I am new, might have butchered this but trying my best. Be sure to let me know any improvements I can implement in future posts!

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What exactly do you mean by "steering wheel jerk"?

Death wobble?

OP
OP
I

itsslade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
so upon turning the wheel to the left i noticed it would try and jerk almost as if back to center

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you have some play in the steering wheel, you could probly turn the wheel 10-15 degrees without the tires actually turning. Then when you let go it will jump back to center and wobble back and forth for a moment. All without the tires turning.

If your tires are turning with the steering wheel and they too are snapping back to center, that is very odd (and likely a sign of something dangerous). If you are good at turning wrenches I would get underneath and look for loose connections but if not then a mechanic would be your best bet.

N0NAMETOGIVE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 / 6.4
Normal, it keeps the power steering from overheating unnecessarily. Turn the wheel all the way in any direction, and shut the truck off and watch it spin some back everytime. I've had a 14, and currently a 17 5500.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357