Storage Containers for use in Truck Bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So looking to pickup a Storage Container or two for the bed of the truck. Will be under a Solid Fold Tonneau so doesn't have to be completely water tight, but do want a decently rugged box, not something cheap and flimsy. Mainly just to toss in various items - jumper cables, tow rope, cargo straps, jackstand, etc.

Was thinking maybe the HDX/Centrex containers from Lowes/HomeDepot - I believe they are basically the same thing - something like https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-55-Gal-Storage-Tote-in-Black-HDX55GONLINE-4/205597365

Or the RubberMaid Ultra Packer, although they are 6x the cost. I even looked at a Coleman Extreme 150qt cooler which would probably work well also.

Mainly just needs to be about 19-20" max height to fit under tonneau - just curious what others are using.

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So looking to pickup a Storage Container or two for the bed of the truck. Will be under a Solid Fold Tonneau so doesn't have to be completely water tight, but do want a decently rugged box, not something cheap and flimsy. Mainly just to toss in various items - jumper cables, tow rope, cargo straps, jackstand, etc.

Was thinking maybe the HDX/Centrex containers from Lowes/HomeDepot - I believe they are basically the same thing - something like https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-55-Gal-Storage-Tote-in-Black-HDX55GONLINE-4/205597365

Or the RubberMaid Ultra Packer, although they are 6x the cost. I even looked at a Coleman Extreme 150qt cooler which would probably work well also.

Mainly just needs to be about 19-20" max height to fit under tonneau - just curious what others are using.

I use the HDX container for the same stuff. Get one if these too:

Reese Explore 1390600 40" x 70" Ratcheting Cargo Bar https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01414B9HI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_FR-FBbRBMWED3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jstmahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
OP I have the Costco version of the HDX(black w/ yellow lid) containers. They work great for throwing stuff in. And they were pretty cheap.

2017 RAM 1500 Laramie 4X4 Crew
from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yeah I'm heading over to Lowes and HD today - I prefer Lowes as they have better Mil discount, but will check both as they have different options it appears. But, yeah leaning towards the 38/40 or 55 gal HDX, or the Husky box linked above. I've already got a Heininger HitchMate (which is a tank, btw - probably overkill for my uses) and re-purposed a Plano Sportsmans Trunk temporarily, but want something a bit sturdier.

OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi