Strange Engine Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeyT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I know there are plenty of threads out there already on engine noises for the 5.7 Hemi. Just needing a place to start, took it to dealership a week ago when this started. They told me it was Camshaft and lifters but they did not tear into it. I didn’t believe them as there is no engine codes or miss from what I can tell. Also I do not trust dealerships to begin with. The truck has 245k miles. Runs fine. Doesn’t over heat or through codes, oil pressure is about 50 or so PSI.

Here are links to the noise:

I want to narrow it down myself before throwing money at it. I’ve heard, water pump, exhaust manifold, loose pulley, or lifter. Any insight is appreciated.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Do you still have any Warranty ? on your 2015 Ram ?

If not, why would you ever go to dealership, instead of a reputable garage ?

OP
OP
M

MikeyT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
No warranty.
I am new to the area and the only shop I know is the dealership here locally.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
No warranty.
I am new to the area and the only shop I know is the dealership here locally.
Good chance you'll get more replies if you post this is the 4th Gen section Mikey

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Moved

Think we posted at the same time haha

Mikey, can't quite tell from the video. Kinda hard to differentiate between injectors or lifters over the video

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I know there are plenty of threads out there already on engine noises for the 5.7 Hemi. Just needing a place to start, took it to dealership a week ago when this started. They told me it was Camshaft and lifters but they did not tear into it. I didn’t believe them as there is no engine codes or miss from what I can tell. Also I do not trust dealerships to begin with. The truck has 245k miles. Runs fine. Doesn’t over heat or through codes, oil pressure is about 50 or so PSI.

Here are links to the noise:

I want to narrow it down myself before throwing money at it. I’ve heard, water pump, exhaust manifold, loose pulley, or lifter. Any insight is appreciated.
Buy yourself a mechanics stethascope if you don't have one Mikey,and run it over the valve covers and see if you hear anything,you could also pull 1 plug from each cylinder and do a compression test,alot of times a wore cam lobe/bad lifter will show up on a compression test with that cylinder being down on psi. The next thing would be to pull the valve covers and watch the rocker arm movement,you can jump the starter relay to do the compression test and rocker arm test,with-out worrying about the truck trying to start on you. That way you're under the hood close to everything so you can see what it's pumping on a compression test,or how much the rockers are moving

Marmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At 245 k miles everything is possible, with no warranty the dealer admits cam&lifters problems, coza they knows you have to pay for this job,if you still have warranty, they gonna say,its normal,nothing wrong with it.

J-13GTP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Im currently going through the same thing on my 2016 6.4. Im hearing a tick but couldnt determine the exact area. Thought for sure it was the lifters. Popped the valve cover off and nothing was loose. Turned the engine over and all the rockers moved the same. Im stumped at this point. Please keep your post updated with what you find.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Not great video's there, but if it is that dumping sound I think i hear sounds like a valve spring.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
General rule when recording engine, start recording then put recording device under engine, start truck and wait til cool idle kicks down, let that go for 2 more minutes from under engine, takes away all of the ambient noise this way.

That is not hemi lifter tick, which isnt necessarily good news. Hemi tick we have some fixes for, broken valve spring means you are repairing stuff.

OP
OP
M

MikeyT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
General rule when recording engine, start recording then put recording device under engine, start truck and wait til cool idle kicks down, let that go for 2 more minutes from under engine, takes away all of the ambient noise this way.

That is not hemi lifter tick, which isnt necessarily good news. Hemi tick we have some fixes for, broken valve spring means you are repairing stuff.
Truck still runs and drives fine, no miss, smoke, engine codes, or anything, could it still be a valve spring?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It can yes.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This is the issue with trying to diagnose an engine problem without being near the engine to diagnose as you are already second guessing the suggestion from the mechanic who actually looked at it.

You have choices of pulling the engine for a rebuild now or driving it until something really goes and then getting a remanufactured engine. Sorry you are having problems, good luck.