Strange problem Engine stalling after going over small bumps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJRusso

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2006 Ram 1500 with Hemi 5.7 engine. When going over ruff road with potholes I would get a red lightning bolt light come on the dash and the engine would go to idle. If I shift into neutral I can turn the ignition off and restart and it would be fine till I hit another bump in the road. BTW this is not off road either, we just have bad roads in AZ. The code that comes up is P0522. Also after it happens and I shift into neutral the rpms will go up and down all by itself from 1000 to about 1400 rpm's. Several people I have talked to mentioned a throttle position sensor but the 5.7 doesnt have one. I went to the auto parts store and gave them the code and they did a search and said a possible fix would be to replace the crankshaft position sensor which I did but still have the problem. This morning it died completly after going over a ruff patch of road which it has never done before. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tony

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
That lighting bolt is for the throttle body. Replacing the crank sensor osnt going to solve your problem. The idle control, throttle position and throttle plate control is all within the throttle body itself. I would check the plug on the throttle body and see if its loose and also check the harness for broken or stiff wires

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I'm going to say you have a loose connection somewhere causing the trouble. The throttle body is where I would start though like mentioned above.

TonyB1500Sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have a 2006 Ram 1500 with Hemi 5.7 engine. When going over ruff road with potholes I would get a red lightning bolt light come on the dash and the engine would go to idle. If I shift into neutral I can turn the ignition off and restart and it would be fine till I hit another bump in the road. BTW this is not off road either, we just have bad roads in AZ. The code that comes up is P0522. Also after it happens and I shift into neutral the rpms will go up and down all by itself from 1000 to about 1400 rpm's. Several people I have talked to mentioned a throttle position sensor but the 5.7 doesnt have one. I went to the auto parts store and gave them the code and they did a search and said a possible fix would be to replace the crankshaft position sensor which I did but still have the problem. This morning it died completly after going over a ruff patch of road which it has never done before. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tony

Hey Tony, Did you ever figure this out? I have a 07 and im getting the same problem. Replaced the throttle body, TIPM, and still have the issue. I know it's an old post but really hoping you see this!