Strange ticking noise.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PIPTHEREDRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
My 5.9 has developed a ticking on cold start up but goes away after a few seconds. Could this this be the start of rod nock?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If the noise you are hearing goes away after a few seconds upon startup, I am more inclined to think a lifter is bleeding down and then pumping up with oil pressure once the engine starts. Try a little Seafoam in the engine or some Marvel Mystery Oil. Run it for 500-750 miles and then change the oil with the next lighter weight oil and see if the noise disappears.

If this was a rod bearing knock/noise, it would have to be really loose for you to hear it upon a cold start. Rod knocks tend to make noise once the engine oil starts to warm up. The cold, thick engine oil hides the rod knock on cold starts.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
Rod or wrist pin knocks are usually deep clunky sounds. I agree with Fast69Mopar, it sounds like a lifter. If you're concerned with the noise being more serious, try removing the spark plug wires one at a time with the engine running (there's a tool to keep you from being shocked). A rod or wrist pin knock will usually stop when that cylinder isn't firing. Know also that lifter ticks are not *usually* fatal for the engine.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
or pull valve cover and see if one vavle is not moving as much as the others.