Strange tightening noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kulvir Bhogal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 turbo diesel
I have a 2016 Ram 1500 Diesel. For some odd reason when I sit down in the vehicle I can hear a strange tightening sound near the armrest area. This happens when the vehicle has no key in the ignition which is what seems odd to me. I am not sure if this is normal but the sound concerns me. I am not sure if the Keyfob has some sort of proximity sensor in it that might be triggering something in the vehicle when I am seated in it but I have not put the key in the ignition.

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It's Aliens. ;)

Had to, seriously though...

Are you unlocking the truck with the fob?

A lot of us hear this, it's either the blend doors cycling or another system going back into sleep mode, I forget which one. It does this as part of the shut down if you don not immediately start the truck up. Get in, cycle the key to turn on just the radio, listen for say 3 minutes then turn the key off and remove it from the ignition and wait a few and listen, it'll do this every time. :D

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I'd say it's the sound of your ******** puckering up with the expectation of lighting off that beast of a hemi but since you're running an oil burner I'm no help...

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It is a damper in the HVAC system moving. Anytime you open the door even with the vehicle off you hear it move. I think it's the recirculation damper making sure it's in closed position.