Strut advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PMcG41

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI V8
Hello all,

I am new to the lifted truck scene and looking for some input pertaining to struts. This is going to be a lenghty post, but the devil is in the details, right? Here we go...

I currently have a 2020 RAM 1500 LONESTAR 4x4 crew cab with a 5'7" bed. The truck has 3.5 ready lift sst kit (SKU: 69-1935) on it and 295/65R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on stock wheels. I installed the front end myself and couldn't lift the rear end high enough to do the install so I took the truck to a highly reputable suspension shop (supposedly this is the only shop that Dodge will accept their work and still honor the trucks' warranty) and had them check my work on the front end and install the rear end for me. After 500-1000 miles of driving, I had them do a once over inspection of the truck which checked out fine.

A few months down the road, no pun intended, I took it back because I thought I was hearing some kind of popping noise and they told me that my front struts are in a horrible bind due to the kit, which was not mentioned when they did the rear installation whatsoever.

Is this accurate and do I really need to replace the struts? I know it would most likely improve ride quality, which isn't bad as is, but is this a necessity or more of an option? If I were to do so, could I get some recommendations from anyone who has done the same? Do I need to replace the rears as well? The ready lift kit says it gives a 3.5" lift to the front and a 2" in the rear to lift and level the truck.

Does this mean if I were to replace both front and rears I would need 3.5" in the front and 2" in the back for it to have the same ride height as I do currently?

Lastly, I have been looking online and see a few different struts. One in particular being the rough country 3.5" struts. It says that it is for trucks with 3.5" lift and then goes on to say that it can't be installed with the strut spacer which is what gives it the lift in the first place.

I am getting lost in translation and I'm not even 100 percent sure that it is even necessary or if I am just trying to be upsold from the suspension shop.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Hello all,

I am new to the lifted truck scene and looking for some input pertaining to struts. This is going to be a lenghty post, but the devil is in the details, right? Here we go...

I currently have a 2020 RAM 1500 LONESTAR 4x4 crew cab with a 5'7" bed. The truck has 3.5 ready lift sst kit (SKU: 69-1935) on it and 295/65R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on stock wheels. I installed the front end myself and couldn't lift the rear end high enough to do the install so I took the truck to a highly reputable suspension shop (supposedly this is the only shop that Dodge will accept their work and still honor the trucks' warranty) and had them check my work on the front end and install the rear end for me. After 500-1000 miles of driving, I had them do a once over inspection of the truck which checked out fine.

A few months down the road, no pun intended, I took it back because I thought I was hearing some kind of popping noise and they told me that my front struts are in a horrible bind due to the kit, which was not mentioned when they did the rear installation whatsoever.

Is this accurate and do I really need to replace the struts? I know it would most likely improve ride quality, which isn't bad as is, but is this a necessity or more of an option? If I were to do so, could I get some recommendations from anyone who has done the same? Do I need to replace the rears as well? The ready lift kit says it gives a 3.5" lift to the front and a 2" in the rear to lift and level the truck.

Does this mean if I were to replace both front and rears I would need 3.5" in the front and 2" in the back for it to have the same ride height as I do currently?

Lastly, I have been looking online and see a few different struts. One in particular being the rough country 3.5" struts. It says that it is for trucks with 3.5" lift and then goes on to say that it can't be installed with the strut spacer which is what gives it the lift in the first place.

I am getting lost in translation and I'm not even 100 percent sure that it is even necessary or if I am just trying to be upsold from the suspension shop.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!
I’ll start by saying don’t waste your money on rough country suspension products they are a marketing company that is why you will see their stuff everywhere and in every ad.

That said post pictures of your struts and suspension components. I own the only Ram suspension shop on the east coast and I’ll help you get it dialed in

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The struts you mention are designed to lift the truck 3.5”. If you used them with spacers you would have 7” of lift. That is why it says do not use with lift spacers. And yes. Please post pictures. However. 3.5” is a lot of lift. I know the 5th gens are a little better but anything over 3” you should just look into doing a 4” lift kit to keep stock geometry.