Leaking Air suspension from strut seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MSandRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2017 Rebel, air suspension, 124000km

So started noticing the left front sagging out every morning and starting looking for leaks in the air suspension. Popped the gators loose on the air strut, used soapy water, no leak found anywhere on the strut. Check lines, nope. Tried A new air distribution manifold. Nope. Found a brand new standard air strut (non Bilstein/Rebel) and put that in. No more sagging. Aired up the bilstein strut and put it in a tub of water, found the leak out the bottom airbag seal of the strut.

Took it apart. It’s rust causing the leak.

So now I have options to consider.
(Also realize the right front will be next)

Fix the Bilstein rust issue, reseal the strut and carry on. Or try upgrading the shock and reuse the stock airbag.

The bilstein shock and the air bag look mint, no handling issues. The shock is really firm to compress by hand. I wouldn’t consider this worn out.

The issue with upgrading is finding a shock with 50mm OD housing.

The bilstein 5100, maybe the 4600, the Eibach pro truck looks good. Belltech?

So can anyone out there with these shocks measure the outside diameter of their shocks and report back?

I’ve considered the Arnott air struts cause that have Eibach in them for the Rebels (might actually be the Eibach pro truck shock) but the price is ridiculous. 1300-1600$ CDN

Rebuild Master Tech is an option too, but they only list one air strut for all Ram 1500’s and don’t explain what shock they are using for the Rebel.
Tried messaging them, they dont really give a straight answer.

Attachments

• IMG_6247.jpeg
    IMG_6247.jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6249.jpeg
    IMG_6249.jpeg
    139.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6254.jpeg
    IMG_6254.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess if the shock seems fine still, maybe just sand up that rust area and prime/paint and reinstall? Or, use that part number to get a replacement shock?

OP
OP
MSandRebel

MSandRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve exhausted my googling trying to cross reference this Bilstein shock with anything out there. Couldn’t find anything that matches. Which makes me think that it’s just a bilstein 4600, but i need the exterior measurement of that housing for confirmation.
I’ve come across this brand? AirSusFat from China, sells a shock and seal kit amongst other parts, but who knows the quality of that shock or valving.

But yes, i’ve sand blasted the shock and going to paint it today. Will most likely order a seal kit from Airsusfat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357