Sudden increase in oil loss, no obvious signs / cause

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Makhaon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all, I have a 2007 RAM 1500 5.7l with 224k miles on it. I had a new water pump installed over a month ago (don't know if related), and now I've had my check engine light come on twice in 6 weeks, oil pressure low was indicated, and oil level was very low, requiring 2 quarts to bring back to level.

No oil leaks, no smoking exhaust, no rough idling, no oil in radiator or overfill. Even though I saw no leaks, I had changed the oil in the same interval, so I checked to make sure oil pan plug and filter where seated.

FCA folks post some pretty serious oil loss acceptability ranges, and I go through maybe a quart every 2k miles, but this is a sudden increase that has me stumped. I even put in Bars stop leak the first time it happened, doesn't appear to have worked. I am using 5/20 synthetic.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check/replace pcv valve. Water pump replacement shouldn't have caused it.

Last resort, the only fix in a bottle i would recommend/try myself would be engine restore in the silver (May be white can now)can, many and i have had luck with it in the past. Rule out all other possibilities first. No burnt oil smell, ie: valve cover gasket leaking, these don't have to leak much to lose good amount of oil. Get under the truck and look everywhere especially the rear main seal area, and where ever the oil sending unit is.

Long ago i used to bump up viscosity for high mileage engines.

Try going to 5w-30?

Octane

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a 2007 RAM 1500 5.7l with 224k miles on it. I had a new water pump installed over a month ago (don't know if related), and now I've had my check engine light come on twice in 6 weeks, oil pressure low was indicated, and oil level was very low, requiring 2 quarts to bring back to level.

No oil leaks, no smoking exhaust, no rough idling, no oil in radiator or overfill. Even though I saw no leaks, I had changed the oil in the same interval, so I checked to make sure oil pan plug and filter where seated.

FCA folks post some pretty serious oil loss acceptability ranges, and I go through maybe a quart every 2k miles, but this is a sudden increase that has me stumped. I even put in Bars stop leak the first time it happened, doesn't appear to have worked. I am using 5/20 synthetic.

Check compression too.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You should never use 20 weight on in an engine with 221k miles, your oil is too thin making it past rings. 5w30 at a minimum, pennzoil makes a great high mileage oil.

Make sure no oil in radiator.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Or go straight to 0w40 PUP, which will do some cleaning. I would also run redline si-1 and clean those rings as much as possible, even put sea foam through vac lines. If you had a boroscope I'd bet 1/2 a days salary you have a carbon issue.

OP
OP
M

Makhaon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I checked thoroughly, only thing I noticed is oil/grime on the drivers side valve cover, I assume it's because I was a slob pouring oil. No leaks underside, checked oil radiator and lines to see if they'd been damaged in water pump repair, they look good. No oil in radiator.

I replaced the PCV a year ago, but they're cheap so I'll get another one, replace oil with 5w/30 (I just do what the manual says), I run fuel system cleaner through it regularly, including a couple weeks ago, but I will also give redline, then engine restore a go.

Thanks for the quick replies everyone, sounds like you all know a thing or two about postponing an engine rebuild!

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the quick replies everyone, sounds like you all know a thing or two about postponing an engine rebuild!

I like to try to help, Yeah, To me its about getting every squeaking mile out of a vehicle after its paid off.

Every mile you get out of it after its paid off, is free, its paying you!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I checked thoroughly, only thing I noticed is oil/grime on the drivers side valve cover, I assume it's because I was a slob pouring oil. No leaks underside, checked oil radiator and lines to see if they'd been damaged in water pump repair, they look good. No oil in radiator.

I replaced the PCV a year ago, but they're cheap so I'll get another one, replace oil with 5w/30 (I just do what the manual says), I run fuel system cleaner through it regularly, including a couple weeks ago, but I will also give redline, then engine restore a go.

Coming from a redline "guy", this isn't a case for redline. It might help with the burning, but it is a risk with an engine with this high of mileage. You can do as you like, but High Mileage oils are made for this. Where is your location? snow state?

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip

man at 220k you have blow by but I will say at 220 I’d b like ok time for a new motor.... Mmx stroker

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Jump up to a 10-40st oil. All 8 cyl motors used this in the sixties and 70s. At your mileage, the motor tolerances have loosened up some.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I second the 10w40 or 10w30 CONVENTIONAL high mileage oil. Pennzoil conventional high mileage or Valvoline high mileage would be my recommendation.
I had a old 1999 dodge magnum that ate 1 quart every 500 miles on synthetic; cut my oil consumption by 50% switching to a thicker conventional high mileage oil.
Please let us know what you go with and how it goes.