Oil Filter Housing Woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandonian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l
Hi Everyone - so I had the dreaded housing leak on my wife's 2014 Ram. We couldn't wait for a service department for our insurance, so I tackled the job (it requires a lot of flexibility reaching back in there for those bracket bolts and all the bolts against the firewall, I am too fat and not stretchable enough for this crap) - anyways - taking my time over the last couple of evenings I completed it. Followed Torque specs/sequences (I used the Dorman Aluminum Housing) - I got it all together, put fluids in it this morning - and after it got up to temp my wife noticed oil just pouring down from the valley to the ground below.

Retracing my steps - I noticed my ******** self somehow put the o-ring on the collar of the filter cap instead of where it goes, so it was in between the cap and the housing - I believe this would cause that type of leak since I made sure to lube the seals and orings etc. prior to installation so no dry cracking, and each was inspected.

Do ya'll think the oring between the cap and the housing would cause that steady stream of oil once the vehicle was up to temp? I did have oil on the sides of the manifolds as if it had sprayed sideways at the level of the oring cap before it streamed out - so I think that's it.

i dread having to take this pile of poop apart again, and hope I don't have to. Going to grab a quart or two of oil and replenish what came out - and start it up later after today's activities and see if it does it again, if so I think I got a bad housing/seals.

OP
OP
B

Brandonian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l
I got it - I fixed the cap, added about half a quart or so of oil to the dipstick full on the checkered weird safe line - started her up - have had her running in 15 minute increments several times and no oil leaks this time. I think it's good.

Burping coolant though - that was lame as hell...never had such a difficult vehicle to burp. Apparently you HAVE to use the special funnel for these - my only alternative was to open the radiator and volcano the bubbles out and squeeze the top radiator hose - while that has never worked in the past, it seems to have worked on this one.

Also - I was revving at 4k RPM per the FSM for a "second" time to get it back to 220 F for the Thermostat to open, but for some reason after quite a bit of it not reaching that temp, the RPM's went down, the computer shut down any ability to "rev" it at all in park - I had to shut the key off for a bit, and start it back up and it seems to rev as normal. Hopefully I didn't break anything there. Apparently another electronic fail safe lol :) .